Endpoint Manager doesn't format XML files in /tftpboot correctly

We have a bunch of Grandstream GXP 2130/40/60 phones we are about to roll out. I had configured a few of them manually for testing. Downloaded the sample xml file, editted it, told the phone to provision of the server’s tftp, no problem. Bought the Endpoint Manager yesterday. Went through the setup, added a new extension, selected the brand, template, model, etc. and enterred the MAC address. It created the file, but it does not look right and it doesn’t work.

Files I created start with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<gs_provision version=“1”>

Every entry looks like a typical HTTP entry:

The Endpoint Manager is creating files that look like this:
^@^@^Q�Q�^@^K�q#�

P237=192.168.200.130:/&P2=dr147645&P3=1457&P8=0&P30=0.us.pool.ntp.org&P31=1&P33=*97&P34=dr147645&P35=1457

Garbage characters, no and around the paramters.

Verified the phone is actually hitting the tftp server and requesting the configuration files, it just can’t use them. Any help?

Forgot the basic info:
FreePBX 12.0.76, Asterisk 11.16.0, all recent updates applied

It created additional files, with the correct info: macaddress.cfg. The Grandstream GXP phones only look for two files cfgmacaddress or cfgmacaddress.xml

That configuration is correct. You are using xml but we generate the grandstream obfuscated files. Both are valid.

Nothing in the most recent administrator guide regarding obfuscated files. Nothing in your online documentation regarding the obfuscated config files with Grandstream. Phones OOTB configuration won’t use the files generated by the module. Nothing in the web configuration regarding obfuscated files. Only thing in the web configuration even remotely close is the XML password, but since there was no place to set a password in the EPM not sure where we would get this.

So, any guidance on how to use the “obfuscated” file?

This “compiled” file type as Grandstream calls it has been around for years. At least 7 years by my calculations. What guidance do you need on how to use it? Do you need guidance on how to use Endpoint Manager and TFTP servers. Which I can provide through our wiki. Unless I am missing something?

Also remember it is Saturday. No support staff are working today.

Come on, there is no such thing as a Saturday in IT.

While I don’t doubt that compiled/obfuscated has been around for many years, that doesn’t change the fact that there is no mention of it in the current guides. Administration guide, provisioning guide, user guide, quick user guide. A search of Grandstream’s support pages and faq don’t return any results for the word compile, compiled or even obfuscated. In fact the only place I see the word “compile” mentioned in any of the guides is in the instructions on creating a phone book.

The config files created by the module do not work. Creating them manually, in the XML format detailed in the guides, for a fresh out of the box phone does work. The documentation for the commercial module showed it would work these phones, and it no longer says “beta” so there is the expectation that it will work.

The whole point of purchasing this module was to make the job easier. Spending money to save time and make my job easier is something we don’t have a problem with. Spending any more money on commercial modules is probably something I am not going to be allowed to do in the future.

Never once said you had to spend more money on anything. I guided you on how to get help on a Saturday no less. Threatening chargebacks and saying you won’t buy any more commercial modules because you can’t get help on a Saturday doesn’t escalate matters any.

Have you opened a support ticket yet?

While that may be true for you support has set hours Monday through Friday. Once you open a ticket you can expect a response Monday.

Having myself worked with these phones for over 7 years I know for a fact compiled configurations are a thing. Supporting over 250 phones is not an easy task and bugs can creepy in. Please give us time to work with you on this during the normal work week.

Edit: A note on this from the Product Lead of Endpoint Manager on Grandstream XML files:

Non XML are because we do not use XML style. For maximum compatibility (with old phones) we use the Grandstream style config, not the newer XML style.
[FREEPBX-9690] Endpoint manager, Grandstream xml configuration files not being generated correctly - Sangoma Issue Tracker

I never said you did. Chargeback wasn’t a threat. If your product is not listed as beta, and your sales info says it will work with the phone we have we expect it to work. If not we expect a refund, or we’ll protest the charges. FreePBX is a top notch product, we’re happy to pay for commercial modules if we know they are supported and they work. If not…well, that is all I was trying to say.

Good to know. Since most of our customers actually use their phones for business purposes, and they might require support outside of the M-F 9-5 at some point, that statement will make a big difference in the solutions for phone systems we promote to our customers.

I agreed with you on that point already. This still does not change the fact that it does not work with brand new fresh out of the box Grandstream GXP model phones. If you have been using them for 7 years, and the EMP is working for with brand new phones I would love to hear how you got them working - kind of the point of this post. And, not exactly sure why you are calling the Grandstream XML configs new since when I first configured some of their phones back in 2009 it was with XML.

Of course.

Thanks for your help. But all you are doing is arguing with me as if you are trying to convince me I don’t have a problem. The config files produced don’t work. There appears to be no option on the phones to force them to use the type of configuration files the module produces. This is a problem. I was hoping to find someone who had encountered the same problem and found a solution, not someone trying to tell me…whatever it is you are trying to tell me.

Again, thanks. If anyone actually has a solution it would be awesome if you shared it. Otherwise, I guess we’ll have to manually create the configs ourselves. Probably will take less time using sed and bash script than I have already spent trying to get this module to work.

1 Like

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Not my intentions (I was merely trying to help). I wish you well.

Note: I never once said anything about support hours being 9-5. You inferred that yourself. I suggest you read more about our support services and the fact that we have different levels of support (including weekend and emergency support services). Commercial module support doesn’t generally apply to weekends however.

Is there any support for the professional modules? If not who do we contact for a refund? Or do we need to simply reverse the charge on our credit card?

http://support.schmoozecom.net