Distro Upgrade SNG7 trashes voicemail, devices, and users...anything else?

I followed https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Upgrading+from+FreePBX+10.13.66+to+SNG7 to the letter upgrading (a clone of) my working 10.13.66-22 system to SNG7 and I’m now chunking through testing and fixes to get things ready for a real upgrade. No worries, there’s always a few things that need to be tweaked after upgrades and I’m fine with that. I’m running Endpoint Manager and Parking Pro commercial modules and things appear to be ok there.

So far I’ve found that the upgrade trashes voicemail.conf (why?) and devices/users–I get it, there’s some religious opposition to hot-desking I’ll never understand. I was able to address both issues so I’m in the clear there.

Are there any other known areas I need to check on? So far my limited testing is working ok but I’ll be testing over the next few weeks. Would appreciate any advice from the trenches.

Thanks!

This thread has a comprehensive list of required tasks post conversion, How to: Upgrade FreePBX13 to FreePBX14 on Hyper V - Guide

If you see anything not mentioned add them there.

Thanks, Lorne. I’ve ready digested that thread but discounted here it because I wasn’t using the migration tool, I’m not on HyperV, and only one of the things it covered (voicemail) did I experience.

To be clear I’m doing an in place upgrade of a running system using the link I shared in my opening post. I distinguish this from a conversion between two systems because (as far as I can tell) they run different processes.

Any other tips from those that have converted their 10.13.66-22 system to SNG7?

Hi @dodgly

I misread your initial post, so you can ignore the link.

I have done a lot of 13->14 upgrades in place and don’t recall ever seeing voicemail issues post upgrade, this is more commonly associated with using the conversion script, hence my initial misunderstanding.

There really isn’t. You’re making this up.

Hey Andrew, no worries–you’re right, I am. I was being a little playful in my snark, sorry it didn’t come across. The device and users mode is one that I and others have depended on for some time so I’m grateful it’s not going anywhere.

Do you see a time where it might be fully supported? It’s been around for eons (in Asterisk) and it seems with each new release of FreePBX the warnings get more and more dire–it used to be just a simple notice when you turn it on, now it’s on the top of the device and users page.

Really, truly, I’d like to do whatever I can to help the feature stay around but also to see it accepted and promoted as the ideal solution. Maybe I’m missing some fatal flaw in my desire to provide a fast hot-desk option but as far as I know it’s the best we’ve got. If not device&user then what do we have…the Phone Apps model where the device re-provisions and reboots?

The feature won’t ever go away because it’s too tightly integrated into freepbx

How did you fix your voicemail situation? I haven’t upgraded a system in over a year, went to do a FPBX13 system and had the voicemail wiped out like you, amongst other issues.

@waldrondigital The article that @lgaetz linked to above does address restoring voicemail. How to: Upgrade FreePBX13 to FreePBX14 on Hyper V - Guide

In short, you have to simply yank the /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf over from the old system. In my experience the voicemail files themselves (/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/) were intact which really helps out. Now…I had further issues because I had some legacy configuration values in [general] section of my voicemail.conf and Asterisk bombed on reload until I removed those.

PM me if you get stuck and I’ll do my best to help. I performed no less than SIX upgrade tests before I had it all dialed in for a smooth 90-minute live upgrade to 10.13.66-22. I’m not done dialing in the SNG7 upgrade but will probably make a go of it in a few weekends.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.