Distro installation stuck at 8%

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this so please be patient with me.

I have never installed this before. I simply installing this at home for fun, to learn something new and to get off my horribly expensive phone plan now for something more reasonable. I’m going to have 4 phones connected with a max of 2 simultaneous calls being made.

I’m using a spare PC that I had laying around. It’s a P4 with 1GB of RAM and a 40GB HDD. I know people running this Distro with less.

The installation works as expected until it reaches the dependency check. At this screen it gets to 8% and will sit there. I had this running over night to see if it made a different with no luck. There are no errors on the screen, the system is hooked up to the internet as it can receive the packages needed and gets an IP as it should.

Troubleshooting:

1. I swapped out the HDD thinking it was bad.
  2. I swapped out NIC thinking maybe incompatibility but I’m using an Intel Pro 10/100 which in my experience is compatible with everything.
  3. I tried re-downloading and burning the distro.
  4. I’ve used both installation methods, new and old.
  5. I’ve played with the network configurations to see if I can just get it past the 8% even though I knew they were wrong.
  6. I performed the mem test from start to finish with no errors.

always the same… stuck at 8% on the same screen regardless of what I do.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I’m having trouble installing the Distro today. I suspect there’s a problem with the servers. This is very unusual, but I recall that someone in development posted a message saying that they were changing the way the Distro installed, so maybe it is related to that.

You might try again in a few days. Also, you might consider trying a different machine, or even installing on a VMWare Player machine, for testing purposes.

You can download the VMWare Player for Windows for free from VMWare’s web-site. Create an empty VM Machine running Centos. After you create, link the ISO as a virtual CD Drive and then boot. Don’t link the ISO during the process of creating the machine, as it will cause the Player to want to do a CentOS quick install, which doesn’t work right.