Distro 3.x and yum updates to freepbx?

I remember with AsteriskNow getting totally bit in the backside by allowing a yum update to touch FPBX.

Now running the current 3.x distro with Asterisk 11, and I ran yum a short bit ago, and long and behold it’s offering me a freepbx update:

Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package freepbx.noarch 0:2.11.0beta1-110 will be updated
---> Package freepbx.noarch 0:2.11.0beta2-112 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================
 Package          Arch            Version                    Repository    Size
================================================================================
Updating:
 freepbx          noarch          2.11.0beta2-112            pbx           25 M

Transaction Summary
Upgrade       1 Package(s)

Total download size: 25 M

So before I hit yes, I wanted to follow up with a post, and see if this is something safe to accept, or is this yet another disaster waiting to happen?

Checking on new modules, it shows there are no updates, that everything is current…

-Howard

Nope 100% safe with us but you will see it exits out of the install of the RPM and tells you to go to module admin to update modules to keep you from thrashing your systems but why are you not using the Upgrade scripts to keep your Distro updated.

So then your saying, we should never actually run yum, just let it update itself when when an update script is issued? As I figured other OS updates might hit, and I figured that was the way we were supposed to pick them up.

I guess coming from a BSD/Linux world, I am just used to the various update methods I have learned to use over time… :slight_smile: