Display name of who you are calling through IAX trunk

(Voiptech55) #1

Hello,

Trying to find out if it’s possible to show the display name of who you are calling through an IAX trunk.

So if Bob at extension 1000 wants to call Joe at extension 2000 through an IAX trunk. Is it possible to get Bob’s phone display to show Joe’s name while on the call? Currently for me it’s only showing the extension number and not the display name.

Basically trying to see if I can make calling through IAX look exactly the same as dialing another extension within the same PBX, which currently does show both the display name and extension.

My trunk settings currently are as follows:

host=
username=
secret=
type=friend
context=from-internal
qualify=yes
qualifyfreqok=25000
transfer=no
trunk=yes
forceencryption=yes
encryption=yes
auth=md5

I’ll start by saying I have not used IAX for maybe ten years. I do not think it has changed much since then. A quick read of the config file makes me think it does not have “connected line” capabilities. But you can enable connected line info on PJSIP trunks easily, which will give you the behavior you want.

The way to do it is set up PJSIP trunks on both PBXes, pointing to each other. Enable the “Send Connected Line” advanced option and trust RPID. In your outbound routes that point between the two PBXes, set the type to intra-company.

(Jared Busch) #3

This works on my IAX2 trunks. I’m out at a bar chilling at the moment though. So I’ll have to get settings for you later.

(Jared Busch) #4

@Voiptech55 this is what I have in my IAX2 trunk within FreePBX.

username=REDACTED
secret=REDACTEDTOO
host=pbx.somedomain.com
type=friend
context=from-internal
qualify=yes
qualifyfreqok=25000
disallow=all
allow=g722,opus,ulaw
transfer=no
trunk=yes
forceencryption=yes
encryption=yes
auth=md5

And this is what the CDR shows. My desk phone, obviously, also shows the correct information.

(Jared Busch) #5

I would not use IAX2 today. I would use PJSIP to interconnect two systems.

I’m a huge fan of 722 if it isn’t obvious.

(Matthew Fredrickson) #6

After a quick look at chan_iax2.c, it would appear that IAX does have connected line support (at least at a protocol level). I’d be surprised if it didn’t do all the right things to make the rest of it pass through correctly.

Matthew Fredrickson

(system) closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.