Disk is getting full

Hi,

I have FPBX15 and that is running fine in VMware.
I created one disk of 12 Gb for the system and a second disk of 250Gb for the storage of logs and call recordings. I checked with WinSCP that the second disk indead is being filled with logs and recordings. But to my surprise the first smaller disk is loosing it’s free space with 1% every day.

Question 1 : what can I do the prevent the first disk from being filled

Question 2 : when I increase the disk space in VMware, it does not show in FPBX. Why ?

Gr. Bart.

Show exactly your mount points , we don’t know what you remounted.

Changing a disk size doesn’t change the partitioning, you can’t resize a mounted ext file system,

I add a grub menuentry to add booting gpartedlive.iso from ram as a boot option, (recipe on their site)

Say what?? This is precisely what growpart and resize2fs are for. We even use them to resize mounted root on a running system.

Let’s get our terminology settled, at least:

• Volume - The “Disk” (real or virtual) attached to your VMware instance (VMware calls them “Hard Disks”)
  • Partition - The divisions/boundaries for differing file systems within the Volume.
  • File System - The logical “format” of the directory and file structure within the Partition…in this case, ext2

If your Volume is 250GiB but your Partition is only 50GiB, then that Partition will only be able to house a 50GiB File System. If you started out with a Partition the same size as your Volume, then resize your Volume with VMware, the Partition will not automatically resize with it. That’s what growpart is for. Using growpart will not resize the File System when it resizes the Partition. That’s what resize2fs is for. So, if you started with a 50GiB Volume, 50GiB Partition, and 50GiB File System but then wanted to make that 250GiB, you would:

• from within VMware, resize Volume
  • from within the OS, resize Partition with growpart
  • resize File System with resize2fs.

NOTE: growpart can be installed via EPEL repos yum install cloud-utils-growpart

I do agree that we need to know mount/disk info. We can see everything we need (mounts and sizes/free space) if one runs df -h

I said you cant resize a mounted ‘ext’ partition (ext2-4) you can resize logical volumes , add a physical volume and extend the volume group. Again I suggest, gparted makes ot much simpler for the layman

1 Like

Hi,

Here is the output as requested. Disk A is 16Gb, disk B is 120Gb (media/recordings) :

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.9G 183M 1.7G 10% /run
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/SangomaVG-root 12G 8.3G 3.3G 72% /
/dev/sda1 1.9G 103M 1.7G 6% /boot
/dev/sdb 116G 2.5G 107G 3% /media/recordings
tmpfs 379M 0 379M 0% /run/user/0

Gr. Bart.

1 Like

so what did you remount into /media/recordings ?

Hi Dicko,

I do not understand your question.

/media/recordings is on the second 120Gb harddisk.
Here are the logs and recordings stored.

Gr. Bart.

how did you remount /var/log ?

Hi,

I didn’t do that. I changed the location.

Gr. Bart.

Then THAT is how you remounted ( but only asterisk logs )

You said your partition usage was growing, there are many other logs that are not on /media/recordings , also /var/lib/ has asterisk and mysql that also grow, but at a lower rate

du -hx --max-depth=2 /var/|sort -h
du -hx --max-depth=2 /media/recordings|sort -h

for starters

to see what’s happening in realtime , as root:-

yum(or apt) install inotify-tools

inotifywait -m /var/

The CLOSE_WRITE’s often grow the file system size

Hi,

So I want to increase the space on /dev/mapper/SangomaVG-root.
With all the explaination from you guys I still do not have any idea how to.
Please give this very stupid old ISDN/POTS man some hints to do that.

Gr. Bart.

https://www.linuxtechi.com/extend-lvm-partitions/

1 Like

Hi Dicko,

That did it for me !

Thank you so much for the help !

Gr. Bart.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.