Directory Name Announce set to TTS by default

Hi. How can I set the default Name Announce in my directory to TTS?

In the extensions setup I have added users to the company directory, however, there appears to be no option to choose with Name Announce method to use. The default is spell name, but I would prefer that TTS be used. I realize that I can add the entries to the directory manually, but I would much rather not.

Current Asterisk Version: 13.23.1
Distro
I’m using the included flite TTS.

Thank you.

I don’t think that’s an option right now, but (warning - obvious answer alert) there is an approach you can try:

This module is open source. Take a look at it and see if you can figure out how it’s being done now, then suggest a change to make it work the way you want it to.

Having said that, I understand that not everyone can (or wants to) dig into the code, but that is kind of the point of using an Open Source project. Your “payment” is through interaction with the community and helping to facilitate changes.

If you can’t figure out how to make the change happen, you can file a Feature Request in the Support tab at the top of the page and try to get it added that way.

The good news is that now that it’s out in the ether, it may happen “all by itself”.

It is literally an option in the drop down menu in the Name Announcement setting. You can choose one of the three core options Voicemail Greeting, Text to Speech or Spell Name. After that you are given a list of all system recordings that you’ve uploaded to choose from.

@BlazeStudios: When a directory is selected for a user (in user management), it doesn’t show up in the directory so there is nothing to choose from. By default, when a user is assigned to a directory, the name is announced by spelling. The alternative, which you alluded to, is to manually add the users in the directory setup and choose text to speech for each one. I would prefer not to manually add users in the directory and select TTS for each one, but assign users to a directory and by default, use TTS. This makes the directory update automatically as users are added removed in user management.

The directory in User Manager have nothing to do with Directory module. Those are two separate things because you have have users in User Manager that aren’t related to any extensions and are just users that can log into the UCP or the Admin GUI.

When you create a Dial By Name directory via the module and add a new user to that directory the default Name Announcement is Voicemail Greeting not Text to Speech. You can set that an extension is part of the Default Directory in the Advanced tab of the extension but there is nothing in the User Manager that directly ties or adds a new user to a Dial By Name directory. Because, again, a user may not be related or linked directly to an extension.

@BlazeStudios: Thanks for your response. What I noticed seems to conflict a bit with what you said, though it may just be my lack of understanding.

In the user management setup, users can be included in directories. While the user is not listed in the directory they have been assigned to, they’re name is included when using the directory in an IVR (dial by name directory). Is this your experience?

Thanks.

@BlazeStudios: I’ve verified that my understanding was incorrect. :crazy_face:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.