Digium phones can't play listed voicemail messages

I’ve already created a ticket for this over at Digium but the tech said he’s seen a few tickets with this in the last few days and they all have FreePBX (no other reports that don’t involve FreePBX) in common so I thought I’d put in a topic here to see if anyone else has the issue.

As of yesterday, when you press the messages button on the digium phone, you get your list of messages as you’d expect. Then you select a message and press play from the softkey and an error comes up that says:

“Application Error: Parameters not found (10011)”

In both cases the digium tech knows of, the behavior started within the last 3 days.

This happens only with New messages (old messages can be played) and it’s on all phones connected to the PBX.

note the only changes that have been applied in the last few days is a weekly module update. Not sure which modules were updated exactly though unfortunately.

Distro version 5.211.65-19
Asterisk Version: 11.13.0

Anyone else seeing this?

When I press messages button It dials *97. I am guessing this is something the “phone module” does.

maybe @sgriepentrog may have some insight.

The “messages” button part is fine. it will list the available messages no problem, it’s when you go to actually play the selected message from the list that the error occurs.

What I am saying is I can’t duplicate it because my phone acts differently. My guess is my phone is not set to see the messages button as an app.

If it matters, the only module updated over the weekend was the FreePBX Upgrader.

This is the only change made to the system prior to the problem occurring.

did find

|p6_code=10011|p6_desc=Missing required parameter (%PARAM_NAME%).

On the internet

Jfinstrom,

are you using a Digium phone? (D40,D50 or D70) configured with the DPMA module?

What version is your digium_phones module? Also, in the general settings of the digium_phones module, what version does it show for the DPMA module?

If your digium phone is configured with endpoint manager rather than DPMA, the messages button will simply dial *97 instead of bringing up the visual voicemail application.

1 Like

digium phones module 2.11.2.1 (latest I believe).

DPMA version 1.6.0

researching DPMA I found this thread: Best way to update DPMA?

is it safe to upgrade the DPMA module outside of the normal FreePBX Distro upgrade process?

Yes it is safe to upgrade the res_digium_phone.so module. Later when the FreePBX distro yum repo is udpated, it will simply overwrite the same file.

I expect that your issue will go away with DPMA 2.1. However, if you are still seeing errors on the phone after upgrading, there is some other diagnostic steps to go through.

Thanks, Ok so that’s done and now shows vers 2.1.1 under the Digium Phone Module’s general settings in the FreePBX web interface.

Will I need to reconfigure the digium phones from the FreePBX Digium Phones module? in order for it to take effect?

UPDATE:

Ok, updating DPMA didn’t help, nor did updating the firmware on the D40.

what’s interesting is that it’s only NEW messages that won’t play.
The old voicemails (in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/Old) will
play with no issue.

I’m wondering it this is a permissions issue in the storage of the voicemail wav files maybe?

Okay, let’s proceed with the next steps of diagnostics then:

1. From the digium_phones module, press the Reconfigure button for your phone. Does it immediately show on the display that it is being reconfigured? If not, the network session is not being maintained, possibly due to network conditions.

2. Reboot the phone by power cycle or selecting restart from the menu (check button, 6, yes). After the phone restarts, is there any change in the voicemail operation?

If you are then still experiencing the problem, I’ll need to work with you further to see how we can recreate the problem.

fwiw, I’m on FreePBX distro 5.211.65-20, with Asterisk 11.13.1, with res_digium_phone.so (DPMA) version 2.1.1, with the Digium Phones Config Addon for FreePBX version 2.11.12.1, with phone firmware 1.4.2, with current (as of 5 minutes ago) versions enabled of all available FreePBX 2.11 modules (Basic, Extended, Unsupported, Commercial).

I’ve just placed a call from Alice to Bob. Bob pressed the Send VM softkey. Alice left a message and pressed #. Bob got MWI. Bob pressed the Messages key. Bob listened to the just-left voicemail.

shrug Exciting, yes?!? :smiley:

On this, as far as voicemail’s concerned in the Extension application within FreePBX, I’ve not got anything exotic set.
Status Enabled
Voicemail Password 4321 (not a good password for the at-home readers)
E-mail Address: blank
Pager E-mail Address: blank
E-mail Attachment: No
Play CID: No
Play Envelope: No
Delete Voicemail: No
VM Options: blank
VM Context: default

Most likely, these don’t matter, but it’s worth mentioning.

I’m also in a flat setup that doesn’t involve NAT. The fact that old messages work but new ones don’t for you is pretty interesting. Did you uncover anything unusual about permissions?

Under the hood, it’s a pretty basic operation. DPMA goes and munges together your Old and New mailboxes to create an INBOX. So, items on the phone that are unread should be found on the file-system in the INBOX folder and items on the phone that are read should be found in the Old folder. Is stuff in the right spot on-disk? Does stuff move between the right spots depending on what you’re doing with the Mark Read/Mark Unread options Are permissions any different?

yep, everything is in the right spot (or seems to be). I at first thought maybe it’s a file permissions issue in the INBOX folder as the permissions there on the msgxxxx.txt files are a bit different than the files int the Old folder but nothing seemed to have any effect.

1. From the digium_phones module, press the Reconfigure button for
    your phone. Does it immediately show on the display that it is being
    reconfigured? If not, the network session is not being maintained,
    possibly due to network conditions.

yep reconfigures immediately.

1. Reboot the phone by power cycle or selecting restart from the menu
    (check button, 6, yes). After the phone restarts, is there any change
    in the voicemail operation?

Doesn’t help, was the first thing tried. Also note it’s more than one phone experiencing this so I don’t think its a specific phone glitch… I think it’s on the asterisk/FreePBX side.

Okay, so thanks for the feedback and log information.

The reconfigure/reboot is just to insure that the failure message is not caused by a network connection problem, thanks for doing that.

The error in the log looks promising, I’ll check that out.

In the meantime, can I have you run one more test for me. I’m looking to make sure I have the correct sequence of events that produces the error message for you.

1. Leave a new message
  2. Try to play it with voicemail app (encountering error)
  3. Dial into voicemail with *97 and play the message, note any problems
  4. Check that *97 can now also play the message from the Old messages folder
  5. Go back to the voicemail app and play from the Old messages folder.

crap, that log was from the wrong system. I’ll get another capture and re-post. sorry for the confusion.