Dialling numbers without having to press send, #, or wait for a timeout

I’ve read a few posts that seem to suggest the Sangoma phones are incapable of functioning like any other modern day SIP phone, and they have to rely on a user pressing ‘send’, #, or waiting for a timeout before the digits are sent.

This really is very 1990’s and I’m sure there must be a way to allow a user to dial either a 3 digit extension number that does not begin with zero, or an 11 digit number that does begin with 0, all without having to press another digit, ‘send’, or wait for a timeout.

All other SIP systems I’ve worked with in the UK for the last few years can do this quite easily, so surely the Sangoma phones should be able to?

Well, that wasn’t difficult. I soon worked it out, so am sharing it here for others to enjoy.

It’s far from elegant, and I’m certain a regex geek will be able to put something much nicer together, but the following Dial Plan :-

{2[x][x]|1[x][x]|0[x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x]|999}

in the phone config allows me to dial any 3 digit number beginning with 1 or 2 (but this could be expanded in the same fashion to dial extensions beginning with 3, 4, 5 etc.), or 999, or any 11 digit number beginning with 0 without having to press send, #, or wait for a timeout. It dials any of the combinations immediately.

Simples.

For the U.K. try:-

{[1,2]XX|999|016977XXXX|0XXXXXXXXXX}

Based on https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PHON/Dial+Patterns , I believe that an equivalent dial plan is
{[1-2]xx|0xxxxxxxxxx|999}
and you could replace the 2 with e.g. 5 to allow extensions in the range 100-599.

However, the UK dial plan is fairly complex and you likely should provide for at least some of the other formats. In most cases, waiting for the Dial Entry Timeout is probably ok, for example when calling 0800 400 100 for Barclay’s.

is a fairly good reference; for the real deal see

If you permit dialing local numbers without the area code, they conflict with extension numbers so you will need to set Dial Now Timeout to something greater than 0.

You should allow for FreePBX feature codes beginning with *, either with a generic [x*]+, or specific for immediate dialing of commonly used codes.

Take a look at the short codes other than 999 that you want to permit. You may not have to do anything special in the dial plan, but will need to avoid conflicting extensions. For example, if you want 112 emergency to work, there should not be an extension 112.

Thanks Stewart, that’s really helpful advice and good information. It’s also reminded me I ought to be careful about 111 as a bare minimum as well, so it’s all very much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.