Dialing Ring Group on Remote PBX

I have an interesting problem that I hope someone can help resolve. I have a main office running Freepbx 2.8.1.5 with about 20 extensions. My extension was 516. I recently added three more phones to my office so no matter where I am working I can easily pick up the phone when someone calls in. To accomplish all the phones ringing at the same time I deleted my 516 extension and created a ring group using the same number. This way I didn’t need to notify anyone of the change. When they dial 516 it will ring extensions 520, 521, 522 and 523. I also changed the CID Number Alias on 520 through 523 so that outgoing calls from those extensions show that the call is coming from 516. This works great and I’ve had no issues with it. We just recently added another office running FreePBX 14.0.3.6 with extensions (2XX) and have it up and running. I’ve created an IAX2 trunk over the VPN and can make and receive calls just fine to the main office (5XX). However if someone at the remote side calls my extension 516 they get a number is not in service message. They can call any other 5XX extension and it works fine. I assume it has something to do with my number now being a ring group instead of an actual extension. Do I need to do anything to allow the remote side to call the 516 ring group? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I finally got this to work and thought I would share. I am not sure if this is the “correct” way to get this to work but it did for me. When calling from the remote office PBX (ext 209) over the IAX2 trunk to the main office ring group (516) the asterisk logs would show, “Received an unknown call with DID set to 516”. I created a new inbound route on the main office PBX directing anything with a DID of 516 to go to ring group 516. Now when someone from the remote office (2XX) calls 516 it gets dropped into the correct ring group and all four phones ring (520 through 523). If there is a better way to do this please mention in a reply. I’ll take any input.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.