Dial plan x.T|*x.T

I’ve been experimenting with dial plans for a variety of phones. Polycoms are my main concern at present. They have long dial plans by default and I’m hoping to simplify for use with FreePBX.

Is anyone aware of known issues with dial-plan x.T|*x.T or willing to help by testing it on different phones and verifying functionality?

Any feedback appreciated. Thank you.

• James

Using that dialplan basically bypasses the local dial plan on the phone.

One of the keys to a proper, professional installation that users will feel comfortable with is the proper crafting of a the dial plan on the phone so users do not need to press send at the end of dialing. I make sure that all internal, site to site, local and LD calls do not require send. Further you should make sure that all off rule traffic has s timeout so that these calls are still processed if the user forgets to press send (albeit with a long delay.

Also, your particular situation may force some diversions from the “proper” dialplans.
Normally one wouldn’t need a “T” except in international dialling (where you don’t know the length of the dial string) and at the end of the dial plan (catch all). Your suggestions almost fall in the second category.
You don’t necessarily have to capture everything, but you can’t expect people to be happy dialing an extension (which shouldn’t conflict with any outbound dialing) and needing a SEND or wait would you! Almost all dial strings (not mid-call) that start with a “*” work like xx - whereas in some cases you might need an "xxx" for example - which is not covered by your strings.

I believe device dial strings have to reflect your situation specifically - unlike route dial plans which need to sometimes insert or remove parts and unlike trunk dial plans which might remove even more.

Reason is the device has to be generic and at least for frequent strings should decide “we’re good to go” whereas those will fit several routes and become appropriate for several trunks but nothing gets done until the device sends in the string.
I’m not a native speaker, but I think I’ve expressed the point: No one is capable of giving you what your best configurations should be - just the principles.