Detecting Dial Tone Loss on a Vega 60G

Hello -

Is it possible to detect dial tone loss on a Vega 60?

I’m looking to find a way to detect if a phone line goes down so I can send an email or some notification.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Still looking for help or advice on this, please. My UL-listing requires I have something in place to monitor when phone lines fail.

Thanks.

No the Vega does not monitor that or have any way of alerting. Not sure of any gateway that does that.

1 Like

In order for the Vega to know there’s no dial tone, it has to take the line off-hook and make it busy. It then can’t receive calls.

Hmm, that’s disheartening.

I was hoping there was a way to detect dialtone/voltage loss.

I can’t believe I’m the first person to ask for such a thing, but I must not be searching for the proper terms to find a solution.

Anyone have any creative ideas? I’m open to anything.

Thanks.

Detecting B+ (which is what your last message sounded like you were looking for) is different than detecting dial tone. There may be other things that can be done, but the Vega will have to do whatever B+ detection the device can handle. That would be a question for the vendor.

I have in the past used cermatek ch1812 moduled

It was all the circuittry needed.

1 Like

Ok, so apologies if my original question was unclear.

I guess I assumed that lack of dial tone and lack of voltage were the same thing and phrased my question as such.

As a UL-listed business, UL is requiring me to be able to detect when my phone lines are not available due to provider issues. I need to be alerted somehow (email, flashing light, buzzer, etc…) if something (my Vega 60, FreePBX, some other device) detects that the phone line is absent.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion my initial post may have caused.

Thanks again for everyone’s help so far. It is much appreciated.

• Jay

I don’t know of a specific device that detects the drop of B+ on the phone line. Most people do it the way the movies do it (… picks up phone. “It’s dead. What do we do now?” …).

Having said that, though, there should be some way to make that happen. One way would be to put a current detection loop on the line and if the current drops to 0, the line is dead. Similarly, you could plug in a device that measures voltage on the tip and ring and when it drops to 0, your phone is dead. Connect that to an alarm circuit and you’ve got your solution.

Thinking about it, there must be a fire/alarm system module that does it somewhere.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.