Debian Wheezy Package Updating Breakage

A few months ago I installed freepbx on a debian wheezy box from source using the instructions provided on the wiki. Well foolishly I updated various packages on the machine including mysql a couple of days ago without first consulting the community. Would updating freepbx/asterisk dependencies (via the OS package manager) break features or components? Noticed that the CDR database had no entries but I initially didn’t verify if CDR reporting was working to begin with. So would updating break anything or did I not originally configure things properly? Any help or direction would be appreciated, thanks.

I know we have Debian users lurking around that may be able to give you more direct advice. We have instructions up for Ubuntu on our Wiki: http://wiki.freepbx.org/dosearchsite.action?queryString=ubuntu

You may look at some of those and their package lists to make sure you have everything in place.

I know there is some potential for breakage with certain versions of PHP and MySQL.

If you can supply more details on what isn’t working and details to why you think so, such as error messages, logs etc we may be able to get to a better answer.

There are no problems (just advantages) as far as I know using Debian all the way up to Jessie to host your Asterisk/FreePBX system, you will have needed to add the mysql cdr options in the make menuselect bit of building asterisk from the asterisk cli

cdr show status

and

cdr mysql status

will show your success or otherwise, if otherwise then

module load cdr_mysql.so

should show the nature of the failure.

Okay, good to hear. I’ve got very limited experience with freepbx/asterisk, but here is the output for those commands:

Call Detail Record (CDR) settings
----------------------------------
  Logging:                    Enabled
  Mode:                       Simple
  Log unanswered calls:       No
  Log congestion:             No

* Registered Backends
  -------------------
    cdr-custom

cdr mysql status : No such command 'cdr mysql status' (type 'core show help cdr mysql' for other possible commands)

I assume then I haven’t configured asterisk right to begin with?

and the last line I posted about loading the module?

Unable to load module cdr_mysql.so
Command 'module load cdr_mysql.so' failed.
[2014-08-22 11:27:54] WARNING[17376]: loader.c:439 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module 'cdr_mysql.so': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/cdr_mysql.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[2014-08-22 11:27:54] WARNING[17376]: loader.c:918 load_resource: Module 'cdr_mysql.so' could not be loaded.

Then as I suspected you did not build asterisk with mysql cdr support, your /etc/asterisk/cdr.conf file explains prety well what you need to do and there is an asteriskcdrdb cdr template in your freepbx/SQL directory when you get that far.

Thanks dicko for the help and direction. Lastly, should I be cautious about using apt-get updates as it relates to possibly breaking freepbx/asterisk, any advice?

You are generally safe until you go as far as apt-get dist-upgrade, then on rebooting (presumably into Jessie or SID) you will need to recompile any kernel sensitive modules probably just dahdi and wanrouter if you are a sangoma kinda guy.

1 Like

Thanks again for the heads up, much appreciated.