Dahdiconfig & dynamic SPANS

Hello,

I’d like to support dynamic SPAN’s in dahdiconfig, and looking for a best way to implement it.
The main problem is the way dynamic SPAN was designed:

1. It should be allocated/created in separate config file (like dynamic.conf)
  2. It’s even configured in different manner.
  3. No way to specify, what’s on the other side of dynamic (TDMoE) - CCS, CAS, FXS, …

So, I’d like to finally get rid of legacy from Zaptel/DAHDI’s TDMoE, and implement it as it should.
I need some details, to design new module.
SPAN will be allocated from dynamic.conf, and will be configured as any other SPAN.
SPAN=1,0,0,…
The question is - how to make less coding with maximum funtionality/minimum bugs.

Can you please pay attention, and give some details on how you generate system.conf ?
I’ll try to keep you time, and wrote you and separated questions to short ones (most of them yes/no).

• Seems like an old FreePBX (used in Elastix 2.4.0) do not generate system.conf, but using dahdi_genconf ?

• Initial DAHDI configuration is generated with “dahdi_genconf system”, without FreePBX (dahdiconfig module) modifications ?

• Does FreePBX use just dahdi_scan & dahdi_genconf from utilities DAHDI ?

• Does FreePBX read/analize hardware configuration from dahdi_scan output, or from system.conf ?

• FreePBX do not read/analize /proc/dahdi/N contents directly ?

• Can I choose CAS/CCS signalling for any SPAN ?

• Can I choose channel type (FXS/FXO), or FreePBX will use type it got from dahdi_scan ?

• Can I choose channel signalling for any channel (LoopStart, E&M,…) ? type = digital-E1 .

• Will FreePBX (dahdiconfig module) work with SPANs with 128 channels (CAS. Loopstart and E&M) ?

Thanks in advance.

There are local and eth dynamic spans, you could perhaps say better what you want to do.

But it doesn’t work the way you want it to, dahdi is a low level channel driver that can do a whole bunch of things but the FreePBX module is limited to the more common hardware spans used by “cards” so I doubt that the effort to ubiquitously support all of dahdi’s variations could be reasonably realized. For example defining DACS cross-connects and dynamic_eth spans will vary so very much for what you want to do, you can dacs a hardware T1 to a dynamic_eth span and present the original T1 to the box at the other end of the eth span, or just dacs a single alarm channel to a dedicated server (not UL approved :slight_smile: )all this is done in system.conf.

dahdi.conf defines how the channels interface with asterisk, so if for example you are virtualizing an ISDN PRI each end would specify the signaling appropriately at each end pri_net at one end pri_cpe at the other, (the same end if using dynamic_loc) similarly for E&M, clear channel etc. dahdi_genconf reads genconf_parameters so if you it is kind of a toss up whether to edit genconf_parameters to generate the correct system.conf or manipulate system.conf directly, dahdi_cfg will then make dahdi_chan.conf to match.

If you have a very specific usage case perhaps it could be much simpler, but apart from a very few hardware devices like redfone, very few users will need such function, the ones that do will obviously have worked out how to do it “by hand”.

There are local and eth dynamic spans, you could perhaps say better what you want to do.
eth dynamic.
I’d like to be able to use/configure TDMoE devices (dynamic SPAN’s) via FreePBX frontend, as I can do it manually.
But it doesn’t work the way you want it to, dahdi is a low level channel
driver that can do a whole bunch of things but the FreePBX module is
limited to the more common hardware spans used by “cards” so I doubt
that the effort to ubiquitously support all of dahdi’s variations could
be reasonably realized.
I don’t want to realize all dahdi’s variants.
I’d like to fix dahdi_dynamic, dahdi_dynamic_eth & dahdi_cfg to cut off dynamic SPAN, and implement it the same way, as Xorcom did (xpp.conf + script to write xpp.conf to driver).
Thus, SPAN’s will be created from dynamic.conf contents, but will be configured the same way, as any other SPAN (SPAN=1,0,0,…).
So, I can have a chance of no or a few modifications to dahdi_genconf/scan & FreePBX.
I know, how DAHDI works, how asterisk (chan_dahdo.so) read/write/signal/monitor work with DAHDI.
The only thing I don’t know (it will take some time to read) - the functionality of dahdiconfig, what is it using as a source (dahdi_scan, system.conf, …) as a reference configuration, and so on.
That’s why I’m asking for a help.
If you have a very specific usage case perhaps it could be much simpler,
but apart from a very few hardware devices like redfone, very few users
will need such function, the ones that do will obviously have worked
out how to do it “by hand”.
We have a very common configuration with our hardware.
http://www.freepbx.org/forum/general-help/hardware-сonnections-asteroid

1. PRI
  2. channel bank with FXS/FXO/GSM modules.
    FXS=LoopStart
    GSM=E&M
    Can you give me an answers for my questions ?
    It will really help me.
    Thank you.

Wrong link
http://www.freepbx.org/forum/general-help/freepbx-and-dahdi

You seem to represent the manufacturer of that device, is that correct?

For basics of how dahdi_cfg works

man dahdi_cfg

for basics of how dahdi_scan works

man dahdi_scan

for basics of dahdi_genconf

man dahdi_genconf

But basically your hardware is not included in any of those, you could contact digium and work with them as did Xorcom to use include your product, see

man dahdi_hardware

That scans the usb bus for recognized devices (Xorcom anyway), in your case , your version would need to look for 0xd00d packets on all connected NIC’s destined for the server you presumably have already setup on your device previously and then act appropriately. having discovered the device you need to setup each channel as appropriate to the hardware specific to that instance.

So all in all you seem to have a specific hardware that does not fit within the current GUI, although I use many of dahdi’s finer features I do not use the GUI module . If you are asking for someone to do your work for you, I would suggest you contact the author of the FreePBX module.

You seem to represent the manufacturer of that device, is that correct?
yes.

For basics of how dahdi_cfg works…
I know basics. I need details.

Dear dicko, you are really hard to communicate person :slight_smile:
You have not answered none of the questions I asked you, but you gave me a lot of answers I have not asked :slight_smile:

If you are asking for someone to do your work for you, I would suggest you contact the author of the FreePBX module.
Have I asked someone to do my work for me ?

Sorry I wasted your time.

Biohumanoid

http://schmoozecom.com/freepbx/freepbx-hardware-software.php

I think Dicko was trying to put you on the right track.

FreePBX offers a module that configures DAHDI devices. The DAHDI interface is part of Asterisk, not this project.

Asterisk development questions are not going to get much treatment here because we don’t have those folks around as members (they still snub GUI’s and us).

You can write a driver for DAHDI or writer your own channel driver for Asterisk, again a development question that is not going to get answered in a forum thread.