Creating dialplans for external dialing

Hi, sorry newbee here again…

I am trying to dial-out via my PSTN line through my OpenVox A400P card however there is something wrong with my dialplans…

I’ve noticed that FreePBX strips the first digit when dialed??

Trixbox never did this the way I configured it which was to use 9 as a prefix for the external PSTN route.

Currently I have managed to configure the prefix’s thanks to some people here :slight_smile:

However, how do I stop FreePBX stripping the initial digit?

All that should be dialed is:

9+number

knowning not what I am doing I attempted this:

Prepend   Prefix   Match Pattern
0         9.       07+NXXXXXXXX
7         9.       7+NXXXXXX
8         9.       8+NXXXXXX

My logic was that whenever I dialed a cell number, the Asterisk log would always show that the leading 0 had been stripped. The same for a local PSTN number as in the UK we use 0208 and 0207 for London numbers…

when dialed the local PSTN numbers should only be dialed as 8+number or 7+number.

The easiest would be to get FreePBX to stop stripping the numbers but I don’t see anyway of doing that so I need to really differentiate between a cell number and local London landline in the dialplans.

I am not sure how to though as my attempt to add a 0 for cell, 7 for any number that matched being dialed out with 7 or adding 8 to any number being dialed out as such isn’t working.

Can anyone suggest anything??

Sorry for what should be such a simple thing but I really don’t understand what is going on and the internet wasn’t much help in defining things either though this:

http://www.freepbx.org/book/export/html/2030

did shed some light on things.

Thanks!

Prepend adds digits on a succesful match
Prefix strips digit on a suffecesful match of prefix+match pattern

Rather than all this verbiage why don’t you tell us what you want to dial and what you want to come out in the other end.

If you look at the screen in FreePBX the ‘|’ character is shown between the fields so you can relate to it in the old format.

In the old way of doing things the digits to match and strip went on the left side of the pipe, match and pass on the right side.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear…

I want 9 to select the PSTN route.

After that I want to just be able to dial as normal as though I was on the PSTN line.

So if a telephone number was: 0207 123 4567

Dialing this from PSTN would be: 7 123 4567

My aim is to be able to dial: 9 7 123 4567

The system strip the 9 so on the PSTN line 7 123 4567 should be dialed only…

If that makes sense??

The same for cell numbers: so 9 07123 456 7891

Strip the 9, dial 07123 456 7891

Thanks

At the moment the system is stripping 9 and the preceeding digit!

so for my 9 7 123 4567 example the system is currently stripping the 9 and 7.

123 4567 is getting dialed and the PSTN operator is complaining :frowning:

I’d just do prefix plus digits in the outbound route. So in dial patterns do one with 9 in the prefix field and NXXXXXXX in the dial pattern and another with 9 in the prefix and NXXXXXXXXXXX in the dial pattern.

Then again I could be wrong. :slight_smile:

You have a period in the prefix. Here is my outbound route table at the office, It has the 9 entry as you describe and allows for 7 and 10 digit local dialing without a 9.

Does this make sense?

Thanks Scott,

that helped alot :slight_smile:

Putting the . in the dialplan section was the answer however, I may even look at taking it out all together later on.

However, it just is a tweak and nothing more :slight_smile:

Oh btw, I managed to fix my OpenVox A400P card too as you were helping me on the Trixbox forums recently.

It turns out that the 10 meter cable I had in there didn’t work, nor did an old wired POTs handset cable.

The DECT base-station cable did work… I think it’s because it is a crossed cable rather then straight-through but I am verifying that with VoipON where I bought the card.

Regards.

Thanks to everybodies help additionally I appreciate that :slight_smile:

Glad I got you on path…The perion symbol us ‘match all’ you need it. Do you know abot the tooltips in FreePBX? Just mouse over and the options for the field will show up. It explains what all the chanracters do.

Order is very important in a dial plan. You always want the most specific on top and the lease specific at the end. Remember the first matching rule will be used.

Thanks so much…

Additionally could I just ask you what the N and X means in the dial-plan?

The top rule in your dial-plan example shows two N’s in the line and I am struggling to understand that!

Regards.

Did you check out the tooltip as I suggested?

X matches and digit
N matches 2-9

IE: 3XX would match any 3 digit number beginning with three
IE: 5XXX. Would match any number beginning with 5 and three additional digits of any length. The ‘.’ Must be used at the end of the expression.

You did not answer my question about the tooltips. Do you know about them? The tool tip for digit maps fully explains this.

That is why exchanges are called NXX codes, the can’t start with a numeric.

I sort of understand now… though I will need to work at it.

The “tooltip” had a bit more information in it… I found them btw. - blue little arrows when you hover over they pop up a little message.

So really what it means then is a match string containing a . means ANY number while the N’s, Z’s and X’s account for the number of digits.

Formulating area codes out of this would be the challange for me I think.