Clicking on apply causes pjsip/sip-tls endpoints to drop

We also do a dialplan reload. Can you try that from the asterisk CLI.

sure, how do i do that?

sorry, figured out what you meant. dialplan reload did not drop connections

[root@uepbx1 ~]# asterisk -rx ā€˜dialplan reloadā€™
Dialplan reloaded.

guys, i see the stable repo was updated and that asterisk 13.17 is available. i am tempted to apply all the updates, do you think this is ok?

thanks

This is an issue and is an Asterisk issue

We dont do that anymore boss :slight_smile:

andrew, i guess if it is an asterisk issue, why does asterisk -rx ā€˜core reloadā€™ not have the same affect as fwconsole reload?.. i think it has to be a freepbx issue because of that.

You said

So you are being confusing. Seems like it has the EXACT same effect.

/var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf changes files. No files are being changed

Then you run asterisk -rx ā€˜core reloadā€™ and it crashes. So how could this be a freepbx issue in any way?

andrew, i see your point, i want to be accurate, so i will recreate the test again and make double sure I relay the right info.

btw, do i need to run retrieve_conf as the asterisk userā€¦i login as root normally.

you can do it as either

Could it be that we call reload through the AMI and he is calling it through the CLI?

Guys, ok, i reproduced the test an here is what happened.

i started by doing a asterisk -rx ā€˜core reloadā€™, this did not cause connections to drop.
next, i did a /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf and then followed that with another core reload. this time, it did drop connections.

assuming that retrieve_conf is an asterisk provided utility, then i see that it is likely an asterisk issue.

i will start to work on this with the asterisk community, but if you happen to think of anything that might send me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Also, thanks for sticking with this.

Actually it is the other-way around, asterisk -rx ā€˜core reloadā€™ is an asterisk thing, /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf is provided by FreePBX/Sangoma, you will need to take it up with them, not Digium

Tony, Andrew, can you guys clear this up, who provides retrieve_conf? that seems to be at the crux of the issue.

dicko, i am on the asterisk community boards and there is a lot of talk about retrieve_conf, this seems to be part of asterisk, not freepbxā€¦how sure are you?

edit: as i look closer, it does appear that retrieve_conf is not part of asteriskā€¦dickoā€¦thanks!

1 Like

andrew, tony,
i was assuming that because retrieve_conf was in the asterisk directories, that is was part of asterisk. it seems that this is provided by freepbxā€¦is that true?

i now think that this issue is back in freepbxā€™s courtā€¦if i can do a core reload and not drop connections, but when i do a retrieve_conf and then core reload, I drop connections, then doesnā€™t that mean that there is something going on with retrieve_conf?

1 Like

Pretty damn sure (I will have to be careful with that d letter though ;-))

This isnā€™t a freepbx issue. The config files arenā€™t changing. retrieve_conf is a freepbx utility that writes the config files. If the config files arenā€™t changing and you do a core reload and itā€™s having issues then what is the problem. Again. Itā€™s an asterisk issue. We can keep going in circles about this all day long but the configs arenā€™t changing. Asterisk reads the configurations. If the configs arenā€™t changing and you do a core reload then what is it that makes you think itā€™s a freepbx issue. For all we know if you increase the file modification time on all the files in etc/asterisk and reload the connections will drop. What I have helped you point out is that if freepbx makes no changes to the files except modification times then a core reload will drop tls connections. Also you should report this as a bug to asterisk showing them that tls dropped after the tls error is shown.

I will personally just quietly wait to see how this all ā€œplays outā€, it will likely be pretty interesting :wink:

andrew, i can do core reload ALL DAY LONG and never drop a connectionā€¦the minute i run retrieve_conf and run core reloadā€¦i drop connections. I find it hard to believe that this is co-incidence.

as for the asterisk forumsā€¦what do you think they are going to say, something like this i imagine.
https://community.asterisk.org/t/retrieve-conf-encountered-an-error/42654/2

the point you bring up about config files is a good one, i will run a test tonight. i will not run retrieve_conf but instead touch all the files and see if a subsequent core reload has any affect, I will also start to look at what retrieve_conf is doing, although half of it is over my head, its a lot of lines of code to be doing nothing else but copying config files.

the truth is out thereā€¦Andrew, I know you are part of a bigger government conspiricy!!! LOL

You are asking the community of Asterisk not the developers. They are always going to blame FreePBX because most of them dont use FreePBX