Cleaning up space on a FreePBX system

Hi,

I am learning to manage a FreePBX 2.8.1 system, running on Redhat CentOS release 5.10 (Final).
It’s usually maintained by our outside consultant who isn’t available for the next few weeks.

My problem is that the system status page says that the “/ (root filesystem)” disk is 93% full.
When I look at the Linux system via Webmin, it says that “/ (root filesystem” is 97% used.

I tried rotating the logs in Webmin a few times, no change.
I was connected via SSH when rotating the logs, and I saw that the logs did indeed get rotated but the PBX still says 93% full.

I should note that the disks are setup in a RAID1 configuration.

I have some minimal Linux knowledge and a working knowledge of setting up extensions in FreePBX, but most of my systems experience is with Windows.

In the past when the disks got full, the outside consultant said he deleted some temp files, but I don’t know how to find them.

I would appreciate help regarding how to clean out temp files or how to free up space in some other way.

Thanks!

cd /
du -sh * | grep G

For example

[root@yplab1 ~]# cd /
[root@yplab1 /]# du -sh * | grep G
3.0G    root
3.0G    usr
4.4G    var
[root@yplab1 /]# cd /var/
[root@yplab1 var]# du -sh * | grep G
2.6G    lib
1.6G    log

1 Like

Hi Itzik,
Thanks for your help.

Using “du”, I drilled down and found that the backups directory has lots of old backups.
I deleted some of them and now FreePBX says that the space used for “/ (root filesystem)” went down from 93% to 78%. That should keep me OK for a while.

I also noted a large file named “testfile” in /var/spool/asterisk/tmp dated from 2014. I’d love to delete it, but I didn’t since I’m not sure what it is.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

If it was last modified in 2014, I’d assume it’s safe to delete. But since you are dealing here with FreePBX 2.8.1 which is long past EOL, I can’t really tell you what it was used for back then.

Consider upgrading your PBX to a supported version.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.