Cisco 9971 phone configuration working example with setup tips

So funny…Darren on the Digium forum had me do the same thing…that was it. When i changed the setting for Video under the GUI to something normal, video was dead. Bumped it to the same as maxcallbitrate and it work. Thanks for all your help. Here is what I have working on 9971 so far:
Audio / Video calling with cisco / non-cisco peers
Conferencing, On- Hold, Call Forwarding
Voice Mail (Standard and Visual Voice Mail)
DND (Lamp Indicator with Animation)
Divert and Park

Any other features you guys have going that I am missing?

Hello I am having trouble getting my phones to register. Could someone PM me basic XML file for 9971? I have copied from the first part of this blog and I see the phone pull down the config, but it I cannot seem to get it working. I am seeing the following error on the phone which I suspect is something invalid in the config file.

“Error Verifying Config Info”

The working config is in message 71.

Take a look at the log (use phones web interface) and see what variable it is choking on.

What version of FreePBX and Asterisk are you using?

Make sure you cut and paste into a raw text editor (Notepad++) or better yet and XML editor (XML notepad from Microsoft is free).

Anyone else having issues with Missed Calls on the 9971 displaying on the session buttons to the right, requiring a power-cycle to clear? I’m having this issue with the 9-4-1-9 firmware as well as the 9-2-3-27 firmware on Asterisk 11.7 and 1.8.7.

I dont recall having any issues. Darren on the Digium forum did mention there were some issues with using 9.4.1.9 when he was helping me with something…so i went back to sip9971.9-3-4-24. I just checked was able to display all calls with that key, then choose Missed Calls, and was able to clear the list. I dont remember having that session button available under 9.2.3.27 but im not sure about that.

You need to define the linekey next to the line or you will have this issue
Have a look at https://github.com/dazza76/Provisioner/blob/master/endpoint/cisco/sip99xx/SEP%24mac.cnf.xml
The issue with new firmware was the video image size was wrong in 1 direction.
Cheers
D

I’ve the same issues, running 9-4-1-9. I don’t know how long the list can go but I’ve tired already >10 lines :). So if you know a solution to avoid the missed calls on the display I’m all ears :smiley:
cheers and keep up the good work.
btw I don’t have experience with other FW releases …

Besides firmware upgrades/downgrades and going through the endless threads regarding 9971s, I’ve just re-configured the 9971’s SEP config file using (a trimmed-down, modified version of) the template on Post#71 of this thread and got the Missed Calls to behave normally - it now reverts to the ‘home screen’ showing the correct softkeys as well as the missed call symbol allowing access to the ‘Call History: All Calls’ screen and ‘Clear List’. I tried using dazza76’s SEP file but kept getting the error in config file. Will figure out what throws the Missed Calls into a tizzy if I have time but for now I’ll be going through the patch feature list for functionality.

Thanx for all the replies! Got me in the right direction.

Hi No1Special00, what parts did you trim from the post#71 template to remove the annoying missed calls from the home screen?
thanks

Below is the config file. Change the basics: ntp server, processnodename, load information, match featurepolicyfile name, softkeys file name (defunct?) and dialplan file name.

This config displays working Missed Calls, working Voicemail Button (set *97) and working Contacts (at least the Corporate Directory).

ATM I am still unsure of what caused the Missed Calls issue.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> SIP

admin
XXXXXXXXXXX

D/M/YA Pacific Standard/Daylight Time 64.147.116.229 Unicast 2000 5060 5061 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX true 3

sip9971.9-3-4-24
DefaultFP.xml

false false 0 1 0 0 1 1 0,1,2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 05:00 21:00 21:00 1 1 1 1 1 1 0,1,2 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0,1,2 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0

United_States

English_United_States en_US 1.0.0.0-1

false

USECALLMANAGER 5060 USECALLMANAGER 5060 true true x-cisco-serviceuri-cfwdall x-cisco-serviceuri-pickup x-cisco-serviceuri-opickup x-cisco-serviceuri-gpickup x-cisco-serviceuri-meetme x-cisco-serviceuri-abbrdial false 2 true true 2 2 0 true true 6 10 180 3600 5 120 120 5 500 4000 70 false None

false
true
false
false
none
avt
true
true
false
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

false
false

softkeys.xml
dialplan.xml

DEMO_PHONE

x1000
x1000
USECALLMANAGER

SECRET

false

true false false true 4 2 0 Missed Calls Application:Cisco/MissedCalls Voicemail Application:Cisco/Voicemail Received Calls Application:Cisco/ReceivedCalls Placed Calls Application:Cisco/PlacedCalls Personal Directory Application:Cisco/PersonalDirectory Corporate Directory (Demo) http://directory.ciscoxmlservices.com/demo1/demo1/

thank you and I appreciate your effort, kindly you have document about learning XML

i have both 8965 9971 and working on elastix perfect, but for a long time im trying to activate A Kem unit ,but unfortunately not succeded ,can anyone help me about how to activate kem unit …

Throw the following lines into your SEP file and add line keys accordingly (9971 KEMs start at line 7, 8961 KEMs start at line 6).

CKEM 36 a6a6664c-b468-c012-ef23-9b8e09a2b5f0

Throw the following lines into your SEP file and add line keys accordingly (9971 KEMs start at line 7, 8961 KEMs start at line 6).

<addOnModules>
<addOnModule  uuid="{c42eaca3-d387-58e7-4f3f-46dfea8b7593}" idx="1">
<deviceType>CKEM</deviceType>
<deviceLine>36</deviceLine>
<loadInformation></loadInformation>
<phoneTemplateId>a6a6664c-b468-c012-ef23-9b8e09a2b5f0</phoneTemplateId>
</addOnModule>
</addOnModules>

Has anyone been able to disable any of the 99XX/89XX buttons? Specifically, I am trying to disable the Conference Call button on the 9971.

Also, has anyone gotten one-touch transfer to work while on a call on 99XX/89XX? Speeddial lines don’t pass DTMF tones - in fact the only softkey to work on call is DND (feature id 130). I tried feature id 4, “transfer”, to no avail.

Has anyone been able to make their 8000 or 9000 series phone use a hostname/domain in the request URI? I want to REGISTER and INVITE to @ so I can have tenants from multiple domains register to my proxy. Unfortunately, if I put the hostname/domain in processNodeName, proxy, or outboundProxy, it resolves the IP and sends “To: @” in the SIP messages.

My last post was formatted since I used tags. Basically, I want the phones to use user@domain in the sip messages but even if I specify the host/domain in the configuration file, the phone sends to user@ip.

Simcity - Thanks for a fantastic tutorial, this has helped me out a lot!
I sent you a PM, could you please send me a copy of your visual voicemail script?

I note my phones seem to be ignoring the
video_imageattr=recv [x=640,y=480,q=0.50]
and using 176x144. How can I resolve this problem? My phones are 9971. With softphone I don’t have any problem.

This solution still working well for you? I just happened to get a Cisco 9971 and want to use it at home for videoconferecing. Setup Raspbx / FreePBX with Google Voice so far but never messed with a call manager like this. The Cisco 9971 is successfully able to grab my .xml files but keeps throwing them out. It looks like I wrote my .xml config right but not sure.

Any new updates on this project or resources? Should I use Google Voice for a phone number? Or something like MagicJack or I have a SIP line through my local provider? I assume GV is best or easiest to work with.