Cisco 7960G help please

Hi all,

I am pretty new to all this and in desperate need of help.

I am trying to get my 7960G phones to be on SIP, I have managed to get most of the files I need apart from 1. the file the ends in .tlv is the issue, the phone keeps on saying error authenticating the file.

From what I read online that I have to create an empty file with the correct naming which i have done, but the phone is still not happy with it.

Any help would be appropriated, I have spent hours trying to make it work with no joy.

Regards,

Saif

Question would be, where did you get this sip file from?.. More importantly, this is help for freepbx and configuration issues, you would probably need to contact someone on the Cisco forums, or Cisco directly… but again they are going to want to know where you got the SIP file from. One just does not download such a file without a Cisco support contract.

i downloaded them from the internet. they have posted the way to do it but they dont explain where we get all the files from.

I won’t tell you what to do, I am sure you are adult enough to make decisions.

Here is the problem, no one here will assist you with configuring the phones, these forums are related to freepbx issues mainly.

Also something you need to take into account is where you got that file from, you know nothing about that file and what it has been built to do. You never know if someone put in a back door, a virus or something else to compromise your system.

If I where you, I would pay for a Cisco support option which I think is around $35, get the real sip file and ask for support on their forums. It’s not worth dealing with doggy stolen material like that. It is stolen by the way, Cisco do not publicly publish files like these for free on the internet.

Don’t take this the wrong way, I am just saying the truth.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Ok, thank you for your help.

The SIP firmware for these phone can be downloaded from Cisco with out a smartnet. Saif if you need some consulting on this I would be happy to help.

www ouelectronics com

Jeff

If you’re still fighting with this, you can pm me. I have these phones (7960) working in my environment. I will say that you can’t use the latest firmware from cisco - P003-8-12-00 works well for me.

I also had to change some of the master config files in /var/www/html/admin/modules/_ep_phone_modules/cisco/sip79xx folder to get the Timezone right (default is hardcoded to PST), logo (logo settings overwrite so I hardcode them here).

Main issues with 7960 on asterisk include the following
No BLF light on the line buttons (the buttons have no led)
Can’t push reboot the phones
must set speed-dials from the menu on the phone (not in asterisk)
can’t page through phone speaker
not correct POE spec, so you must use cisco poe or power bricks

Would you care to share a link to this? I have had to pay to get my loads in the past. Mind you that was a couple of years back.

Hi Mickier,

I have the same problem with the Cisco 7960 for months. Are you able to help me configure it please?

I actually love these old phones. See them all the time on TV shows and in businesses… they work well with asterisk/freepbx and once you go through the process of getting firmware into the tftp folder and fix a couple minor issues in the config files, you can add additional handsets pretty easily… --AND they’re like $20 on ebay.

here’s what is working for me for the 7960: (7961g works well too but not quite the same steps below)

First thing, of course you need to get a tftp server going and specify the option66 set in your DHCP.
Next, you need the SIP firmware for your devices - as I said before, one good version of firmware is P003-8-12-00 placed into the tftp folder so the phone can find it.

Note that firmware was available as of this writing from cisco download website here:
Downloads Home - Products - Collaboration Endpoints - IP Phones - Unified IP Phone 7900 Series - Unified IP Phone 7960G - version 8.12
some later versions have issues which we were not able to resolve

After that, you can just go into OSS endpoint manager and make sure you have the Cisco 7960 phones "enabled"
and then go to extensions and create an extension - NOTE that the password supported by this phone is limited - not sure how long the phone can manage, but the default password created by freepbx is WAY WAY too many characters - shorten it to 12 characters.

reboot the phone and it should go.
If you have trouble - take a look at the SIP[mac address].cnf file in the tftp folder. Check the extension/passsword/server proxy address, etc. (sometimes “save” from extensions does not create the config file - until you go to oss endpoint device list, click extension, and hit “rebuild config for selected phone”

Next, once your phone is up and running - you will need to fix things like dial rules, and the way it displays username/extension on the phone, and you can also insert a graphic, and you may need to set the timezone - the freepbx gui timezone is not getting passed for some reason… so you need to edit it in your source files. (under /var/www/html/admin/modules/_ep_modules/endpoint/cisco/ [phone model] ) on the freepbx box.

Hope this helps.

how to reset cisco 7060/7940

soft reset (delete all files) 1234567890# Hard reset (format flash)3491672850# Network preservation hard reset (format flash; network settings are preserved in RAM only if you don’t remove the power cable from the phone during the reset process)

I should also point out that 3491672850*# will wipe the phone firmware - and you MUST have your tftp server running with desired firmware available - and option66 set in dhcp or your phone appears BRICKed. it won’t be useable until new firmware is downloaded.

Final note: if this howto doesn’t work for you - don’t be mad at me. it’s just what worked for me - :smiley:

Sorry, I have given up on the whole thing… just use SIP software on
android handsets… much easier and shouldn’t cost anything…

Hi,

You haven’t said what isn’t working for you… Have you successfully
gotten your phones to update/load SIP? do the phones pick up your dhcp
settings? (check the phone menu after bootup).
Do the phones just ignore your tftp server? you may need to reset to
defaults on the phones *SEE BELOW

here’s what is working for me:

First thing, of course you need to get a tftp server going and specify the
option66 set in your DHCP.
Next, you need the SIP firmware for your devices - as I said before, one
good version of firmware is P003-8-12-00 placed into the tftp folder so the
phone can find it.

After that, you can just go into the endpoint manager and make sure you
have the Cisco 7960 enabled
and then go to extensions and create an extension - NOTE that the password
supported by this phone is limited - not sure how long the phone can
manage, but the default password created by freepbx is WAY WAY too many
characters - shorten it to 12 characters.

reboot the phone and it should go.

Next, once your phone is up and running - you will need to fix things like
the way it displays username/extension on the phone, and you can also
insert a graphic, and you may need to set the timezone - the freepbx gui
timezone is not getting passed for some reason… so you need to edit it in
your source files. (under
/var/www/html/admin/modules/_ep_modules/endpoint/cisco/ [phone model] ) on
the freepbx box.

Hope this helps.

If you need more help, please let me know. Mick