Cisco 7960 configuration problems

just bought some used Cisco 7960’s they are already provisioned, but still have default password on them. I have tried everything and am having no luck. in my PBX log it keeps showing that the call is being rejected becuse it is coming in as an unknown sip call…

any help ideas. Cisco was useless. don’t have a service plan/warranty so NO HELP.

Search the forum here for 7960, (IMHO you made a poor choice in your purchase, as you will discover :wink: )

I’ll admit they are a pain, but youre actually in luck as far as Cisco phones go. 7960 are widely supported and documented as able to integrate w freepbx.

In addition, 7960 is one of only a handful of phones that ARE actually supported by Cisco for third party SIP integration.
(If you had a service agreement)

The Cisco supported phones are 7940, 7960, and Cisco SPA series.

VoIP-Info site is your friend.

Get the firmware on a known good SIP firmware, check voip-info but i think you want 8-5-4

Once you have that loaded, get your configs written and dialplan.xml and youre good

You need to give us more info if you need help. Post your Cisco phone config and tell us your freepbx settings and well see if we can help

Not sure if this will help or not.

Reset the 7940 and 7960 IP Phones to the Factory Default

In order to perform a factory reset of a phone if the password is set, complete these steps:

Unplug the power cable from the phone, and then plug in the cable again.

The phone begins its power up cycle.

Immediately press and hold # and while the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash in sequence, release #.

The Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons flash in sequence in order to indicate that the phone waits for you to enter the key sequence for the reset.

Press 123456789*0# within 60 seconds after the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash.

If you repeat a key within the sequence, for example, if you press 1223456789*0#, the sequence is still accepted and the phone resets.

If you do not complete this key sequence or do not press any keys, after 60 seconds, the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons no longer flash, and the phone continues with its normal startup process. The phone does not reset.

If you enter an invalid key sequence, the buttons no longer flash, and the phone continues with its normal startup process. The phone does not reset.

If you enter this key sequence correctly, the phone displays this prompt:

Keep network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no

In order to maintain the current network configuration settings for the phone when the phone resets, press 1. In order to reset the network configuration settings when the phone resets, press 2.

If you press another key or do not respond to this prompt within 60 seconds, the phone continues with its normal startup process and does not reset. Otherwise, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/15254-7960-default.html?referring_site=RE&pos=6&page=http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/5455-handset-to-sip.html

I’m starting to think that. I have used polycom, and they are iffy depending on model. Have also used grand stream and they are junk. Thought making the leap to Cisco would be good, but as you said, I’m regretting

Thanks,

Aron Lambrecht

I don’t know if you have fixed your problem by now or not, but, I have successfully installed several Cisco 7940/7960 phones on my FreePBX. The particulars include making sure you can get to the tftp server, either by setting DHCP OPTION 150 in your DHCP server, or by manually entering the alternate tftp server in your phone. Then you really have to pay attention to your config files for the phone inside the tftpboot directory serving up the files. If you need, I can post some generic .conf files that will help you.