Cisco 7942g wont register with FreePBX

I’ve been trying to get a 7942g working with FreePBX for what seems like months. I have tried different firmware versions, using different SEP(MAC) templates, trying different websites for instructions for the config file, different options in the TFTP software on my PC, and it still won’t.

I have also tried sip debugging in the Asterisk CLI: “asterisk -vvvvvr”, and sometimes it gives me a yellow NOTICE tag and says it’s trying to register from my servers IP to the Phones IP but can’t because “wrong password”. The secret in the Cisco’s config file matches the one for the extenion(s). The phone just gets stuck on “registering” for a few minutes but won’t actually do anything and the line keys have a little x next to the phone icon plus no dial tone.

I am using CHAN_SIP in FreePBX and changed the port in the phones config file to 5160 since that’s what FreePBX CHAN_SIP listens on. Still nothing.

When I factory reset the phone and plug the phone and server into a switch without the actual network(router cable) connected, the phone will boot and the files go through to the phone successfully. Then when it gets to “registering” I unplug the server from the switch+relocate the switch and phone and plug in the actual network cable to give the phone internet. Won’t register. I’ve also tried restarting the phone with the actual network cable originally plugged in and without the server plugged in, won’t register. Should I have the server connected to the actual network too?

I’m quite frustrated and don’t know what else could be going wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.