CentOS freepbx running on a VM

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has set FREEPBX up on a VM and if so had any issues?

Cheers All

I have installed the FreePBX Distro on an ESX server VM. Works fine.

I’ve run several under VMware with no major issues. Older versions of ESX had some timing issues but these seem to have gone in ESXi 4.x/5.x.

XenServer, no problems.

Actually better than VMWare, look into ProxMox for an easy KVM/OpenVZ solution.

CentOS has KVM Kernel in 6.4 if Proxmox is more than you want libvirt has nice lightweight tools.

Proxmox is Debian based. If you are more comfortable in that flavor then Proxmox will make you happy.

Ok thanks all, I am using virtual box as my software and im user there is a issue with the way i have it programmed with regards to the router and DHCP options.
This is because My laptop will pick up 192.168.1.100 and then I can sent the VM to be .101… after that I still can’t access the PBX via the web interface with the IP of 192.168.1.101.

But again if I set the PBX to assign its own IP it assigns itself with 10.0.2.15 which is clearing not in my DHCP pool.

and it will not boot. dies on “switching to clocksource hyperv_clocksource”. have not had time to dig into it yet

set viridian=false in xen and the 6.4 based freepbx distro will boot

I have ran as many as 6 512k vm’s with FreePBX distro in 8GB RAM on a single Core-I7 desktop class machine with 300 extensions total spread over the 6VM’s no more than 23 simultaneous calls since a PRI feeds the dialtone.

Super rock solid so far.

I also use a Samsung 840 Pro SSD for the root volumes and the FreePBX’es are wicked fast.

Use multiple Ethernet NIC’s on multiple PCIe cards. No multiport PCIe cards.

The multiport cards usually share an interrupt and without software interrupt optimization, you could get artifacts in the voice because of bursting and time delays on that single card.

Ive always had the best luck using a 1 port Pcie card in addition to the onboard one to balance the load and keep the congestion down.

Do not run VOIP from FreePBX on the same port as Vsphere’s Kernel Port/Service port and use NFS or iSCSI remote storage. It will cause artifacts like crackling and stuttering in the SIP RTP sessions.

Dont forget installing Vsphere tools into the FreePBX VM’s so you can use the free VMa appliance to install powerchute network shutdown (now free) for Vsphere to shut down the virtuals cleanly in a power outage. (Another reason for SSD’s so you get fast shutdowns before the UPS battery kicks)

Thanks bksales.
viridian=false works for me and I successfully installed a FreePBX 4.211.64-7-x86_64 ISO into a XenServer 6.1.

This is a known RHEL/CentOS 6.4 bug, for those who want the full info:
http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=326594