CDR Report just Blank

CDR report has always worked fine, I am sure that I have made no changes that would affect it but when I went to find the details of a call today I clicked CDR Report, a new page opened but the space where the report normally is was blank.

I get the following if I type cdr status;

trixbox1*CLI> cdr status
CDR logging: enabled
CDR mode: simple
CDR output unanswered calls: no
CDR registered backend: Adaptive ODBC
CDR registered backend: mysql
CDR registered backend: cdr-custom

could anyone offer advice please?

The advice is to replace the unsupported, end of life trixbox.

Not sure why you think anyone here would help you with this issue. The folks at Fonality stole the FreePBX software (figuratively not literally, hacked it all up, put their name on it, told the world they were better while never updating the software and the abandoned the users.

The only advice is check the SQL database connector for CDR (cdr mysql status)

You need to upgrade to legitimate FreePBX as soon as possible, take advantage of all the new features and the community.

I was hoping that someone would help but understand it wasn’t guaranteed. I appreciate what you have said and it is my intension to upgrade but until now my system has been and is working well apart from the CDR report failing to display anything today.

the trixbox that I have been running since it was a current version has served me well and I do value having the calls recorded on it, Perhaps it would be possible to backup all the call recordings and have them restored to a new install of freepbx so that I could continue to access them if required. If I was more proficient I’d be tempted to attempt this.

However I typed cdr mysql status; and got the following

Connected to asteriskcdrdb on socket file default using table cdr for 5 hours, 48 minutes, 53 seconds.
Wrote 0 records since last restart.

When It wasn’t working I tried a restart and have made no calls since so I made a call to muyself then tried again.

Connected to asteriskcdrdb on socket file default using table cdr for 5 hours, 48 minutes, 53 seconds.
Wrote 2 records since last restart.

Looks promising, went and looked at the CDR report and now it’s working again.
How odd!

Thank you Skyking very much for your input.