Can't connect to ISP Broadvoice

I am running FreePBX 2.7.0.0 with Asterisk 1.7.1 (straight from the AsteriskNow Distribution. I can access FreePBX from another PC connected to the network, and I have two PCs on the network set up with X-lite4 and they can call each other. I can also leave voice messages that are forwarded to my email. So far so good.

I am having trouble connecting the system to the outside world. I signed up with Broadvoice. I only want to use that trunk for incoming call, but so far, every time I call the number from another phone, I get a “not available” message from Broadvoice. It seems that Asterisk is not connecting to them. When I look at the Free PBX status, everything is green. In particular does it tell me that I have 1 IP Trunk online, and 1 IP Trunk registration (both in green). The registration, however, seems to turn on and off.

I have opened ports 5060 and 10000:20000 on my netgear router. Still nothing.

Can someone tel me how I can trouble shoot this issue? How can I make sure that I have a connection to BroadVoice? And how exactly do I configure freePBX/Asterisk so that it works? I have found some help on the web, but most of it is rather confusing, as it says to change, for example, isp.conf. When I open that file, the first thing it tells me is NOT to change it but do that through the web interface.

Any help in troubleshooting this is appreciated.

Information for the

Peer Details section

Disallow=all
Allow=ulaw&alaw
Context=from-trunk
Dtmf=auto
Dtmfmode=rfc2833
Fromdomain=sip.broadvoice.com
Fromuser=Your broadvoice number
Host=sip.broadvoice.com
Insecure=port,invite
Qualify=yes
Secret=Your BV sip password
Type=peer
User= your BV Number
Username=your bv number

information for the registration

your bv [email protected]:ur bv sip password:ur bv [email protected]/your bv number

if everything in your configuration looks like this now you should check your outbound routes and check your call reports to check for your outgoing calls.

Hope this help you

Thanks. late last night (actually this morning) I got it going. I think the problem was that I followed the instructions on the Broadvoice website, who tell you to make changes to various .conf files. I had a few remnants of those edits still in there. When I took them out and played around a bit more with the parameters in the web interface, it suddenly clicked.

I have the following in the peer section:

allow=ulaw
canreinvite=no
context=from-pstn
disallow=all
dtmfmode=rfc2833
fromdomain=sip.broadvoice.com
fromuser=xxxxxxxxxx
host=sip.broadvoice.com
insecure=very
nat=yes
secret=yyyyyyyyyy
type=peer
username=xxxxxxxxxx

My USER Details are completely blank!

It seems to me that none of this really matters that much. For example I see the I probably have the allow and disallow statements in the wrong order (it was late last night and once I got connected, I figured that it is probably better not to tinker with it anymore :slight_smile:

With that said, is there a good compendium that explains all these different parameters in a way that a non-telecom-engineer can understand it?

Thanks for your help.

Here is a very good reference on sip.conf general and peer level settings:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+config+sip.conf

I would say that if you don’t have a firm grip on SIP and IP communications that configuring peers is going to be a difficult task.

Many providers do give out information for FreePBX and Asterisk discretely.

Ughhh, what the heck is going on? My setup worked for me all day long, and I was playing around with the IVR. The I decided that I need to try a couple of things with the User and peer settings (the IVR was not reacting to dial tones), changed a couple of entries, and now I am back to “Party is not available”. I changed everything back exactly the way it was before, but I am still at the “Party is not available” message. Is Broadvoice THAT unreliable? If that is the case, I better look for another one… Suggestions?