Cant call an extension

Hello everyone. I need some help. I have two 7960’s that I am just testing with. Both have extensions set up in freepbx with the correct mac address. when I try to call the phone i get “calling(out INV)” also when I look at the status of the phones on the main screen of freePBX it does not show any phone’s online. but the phones have a dial tone.

Are you able to go into the command line of the server? Do “asterisk -r” followed by “sip show peers” it will display a list of devices/trunks and show what is registered and what is not.

Having a MAC in the extension profile only matters if you are doing provisioning of the phone from the FreePBX. Outside of that you just need the correct user/pass and server details programmed into your phones.

Name/username Host Dyn Forcerport Comedia ACL Port Status Description
130 (Unspecified) D No No A 0 Unmonitored
131 (Unspecified) D No No A 0 Unmonitored
2 sip peers [Monitored: 0 online, 0 offline Unmonitored: 0 online, 2 offline]

Your phones are not registered. What do you have in the phone settings? And what do your logs says when they try to register?

it might be easier to tell me what I should have. lol Are we talking about the secret in the extension setup page? and if so where do I need to put that in the phone?

Wait. Are you saying you haven’t programmed anything into the phones themselves?! If that’s the case then that’s your problem. The phones have no idea how to talk to the FreePBX system.

1. Get the creds for the extension. This includes the extension name and secret (aka password).
  2. Google the following: Cisco 7960 and start reading.

By default the 7960 uses SCCP (Skinny) and not SIP. You will need to program the phones to use SIP then program the SIP details.

Is this your first out with FreePBX?