Cannot update modules

Hi folks. I upgraded freepbx from 2.2.0rc3 to 2.3.0 and now whenever I click on check for updates online in the module administration, it says cannot connect to – am I doing something wrong or is it broke?


I just did a view source on and just got an empty html page no xml at all – are you sure its OK?

were you able to connect before you upgraded? And what distro are you running?

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http// - IRC #freepbx

Before the upgrade, the repository was somewhere else aussyvoip somewhere and I was able to connect. I am using gentoo as a distribution and asterisk 1.4 using both Voip and a Digium card. and obviously I am connecting to itself. I downloaded and installed from the tarball for freepbx-2.3.0.tar.gz .

the only maintained mirror for quite some time has been the one on Can you get to it manually? (

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http// - IRC #freepbx

Well, it goes there, but there is no text at all, maybe its an image I cannot see, but no links or anything at that address.

no you won’t see anything at that address unless you know what to look for. That is where it pulls the xml for module admin and what not. The issue is usually caused by things like non-transparent proxies or dns that is not working properly. There have been a number of trixbox users who have had that issue in the past for example. I’m not sure what they were doing that was breaking things there.

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http// - IRC #freepbx

Are there any unusual settings, ports or something which need to be open – it says this immediately, so its not a timeout or something like that. Shouldnt I see some XML or something when I go there? I am using IE7 if that makes any difference.

trust me - on the rare occasion that the mirror is having problems, we are well aware of it. We get thousands of hits to it and we hear form all over the place when there are issues.

If you want to see the xml, you need to access what FreePBX is accessing. In the case of version 2.3, it would be:

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http// - IRC #freepbx

Now we are getting somewhere – I can see what you are talking about, but I looked at the network traffic from my box and freepbx does not even try to connect before giving me the warning. I did check the version in the admin table and it is indeed 2.3.0, so we have a mystery here.

I am running the exact same thing. Have we found a solution yet? I was able to pull the xml file from the PBX box… so… not sure why its having such a hard time after the update. It worked fine before when I was on 2.2.0

I got it working.

make sure you edit your php.ini file so that you allow fopen. Gentoo Asterisk turns this off by default for security reasons. You may need to make sure your php5 ini file is set this way.

Also, make sure apache is set to run as asterisk. Both user and group. you may have to kill any and all apache2 processes. Gentoo and freepbx fight for control over apache. Then do a /etc/init.d/apache2 start. If it says that it is already running do a “/etc/init.d/apache2 zap” then start it up.

Also, this bug was effecting me. following its advice solved the warning messages. (they are not harmful thought)

Hi. Thanks much – it worked!! I guess it was gentoo problem. It was driving me somewhere.

Thanks again.