Cannot send call to queue if extension engaged

Hello
Does anyone have an idea on how to reliably do the following?

I want the ‘destination if no answer’ for a primary office extension to be an IVR, UNLESS that primary office extension is engaged in which case I would like calls to be queued to that primary office extension.

So I configured hunt-prim as the ring strategy in a follow-me for that primary office extension, listed the extension followed by the IVR in the follow-me and configured the queue as the ‘destination if no answer’ for the same follow-me.

Unfortunately, this does not work.

It seems that even with hunt-prim, if that primary extension is engaged, the caller ends up with the IVR rather than in the queue. This is not supposed to happen with the -prim option.

I was trying to approach it differently, whereby the queue was listed in the follow-me, but got sone useful information here in that you should NOT list a queue in a follow-me. I guess you should also not list an IVR in a follow-me?

Obviously the IVR could be deleted from the follow-me, but then callers would be queued when in fact there was no one there to answer the call.

I am using asterisk 1.2.13 and freepbx 2.3.1.7 with the latest online updates for what I see as the relevant modules ie core, follow-me and queue modules.

Rgds
Michael

Try the following:
Set up a queue with just this extension in it as a static agent, with failover to the IVR.
Set the Agent timeout to how ever long you want the call to ring at the desk and the Retry timer to No Retry.

You might need to trim the queue a bit more to your liking, but it should give you the functionality you’re after.

thanks for that suggestion magpye. The trouble with that arrangement is that even the first caller hears the initial queue join announcement, ie they think they are in a queue even if they are the first caller, and also I presume they are billed for a call even if no one answers if they hang up before the IVR triggers? I would like the second and subsequent callers to get the join announcement, but not the first. I am setting the queue as the destination for all inbound callers here…I presume that is what you meant to do.

An anomaly is that if a particular queue is listed in say ext. 2003’s follow-me, and 2003 is the sole static agent for that particular queue, then calls directed to that particular queue will hear the join announcement repeatedly ie the join announcement keeps repeating every 10 seconds or so. Anyway, I have already been told not to put a queue in a follow -me.

Michael

I am setting the queue as the destination for all inbound callers here…I presume that is what you meant to do.

Yes, I wasn’t clear on making that distinction, sorry.
The following will make your queue appear just like a standard DDI

Set the Join Announcement to None.
Tick Ringing instead of MOH

Unless you have some announcement presented to the caller prior to the call hitting the queue, they should be none the wiser.

and also I presume they are billed for a call even if no one answers if they hang up before the IVR triggers?

Depends on how they call you.
If via a 13xxxx number, then yes, because the call has been connected, albeit to a PABX, but a successsful connection nonetheless.
If via mobile, chances are they will be billed the moment the PABX answers, as it will be seen as a successful termination.
If by landline, they may not be billed until a voice path is established - either by an agent or voicemail announcement, but this may also be telco dependant, as technically a connection has been made.

hello magpye
I think you have contributed to this on the whirlpool forum. if you are not monitoring that forum at the moment, could you please take the opportunity to obtain a birds eye update at:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1094135
Rgds
Michael

Hi Michael,
I tend not to haunt the Whirlpool forums as much, because they don’t have email notifications, and I simply forget to check :slight_smile:

I’m not too sure what stage you’re at with this, whether you have upgraded to 2.5 yet, but if you have, you might find quite a few improvements to the queues.
I don’t know if in 2.3 you can specifiy the Join announcement, but in 2.5, you can set it to None which will stop bomarding your callers.