Can one tunnel a Jitsi sip/rtp session over an ssh socksv tunnel?

Server:
CentOS-6.? (FreePBX before the branding broohaha but completely up-to-date)
FreePBX-2.11.0.42
Asterisk-11.14.2

SSH tunnel host:
CentOS-6.6
OpenSSH-5.3p1

Client:
OSX-10.9.5
Jitsi-2.6.5390 (osx)

SOCKSV Proxy ssh Tunnel:
ssh -p 22 -Y -L 3000:host.domain.tld:3000 -o ServerAliveInterval=30 -o ServerAliveCountMax=10 [email protected] -D 2001 -D 2002 -D 2003 -D 2443 -D 2053 -D 2060 -D 2061

I have a Jitsi SIP device account on our FreePBX / Asterisk system that works (Jitsi can connect and both send and receive calls) when Jitsi connects from inside our firewall. The object now is to permit it to connect from outside over a tunnel established to a host machine inside our firewall and connect to the Asterisk server from there. I have extended an existing ssh socksv proxy tunnel setup that I use for other purposes and so I know that part works.

For the test I am connecting from inside a home wireless setup over a consumer grade adsl router. I have set up an iptel.org account and I have jitsi on the mac connecting to that from the home wireless network.

So, the setup is:

1. The Asterisk SIP device account used by Jitsi is correctly setup and can be connected to successfully when the network connection is established from inside the firewall.

2. The ssh socksV proxy setup on the mac through the firewall works for other networked services (https) that are proxied over it.

3. The Jitsi software can connect to public SIP registrars (iptel.org) from inside the home network albeit without using a proxy.

4. The Jitsi settings for the Asterisk account are set to Proxy 127.0.0.1 port 2060 using tcp.

5. The Asterisk server and the border gateway firewall do not block outgoing udp.

The results of testing are that a connection to our Asterisk server is attempted but that it times out.

I know just enough about sip/rtp and networking in general to be a hazard. So, if anyone is kind enough to provide any guidance on how I should proceed please make no assumptions about what I must already know, because it is not much.

Thanks