Calls to Our Toll Free mostly very late night

We have been getting calls to our Toll Free Line (we are with SIP Trunks) , the calls ring and if unanswered they get to Voice mail and leave a 15 min 4 mb recording of dead air.

So we have decided to create a ring group that will ring but if unanswered Terminate Call and hang up

But the call comes in rings and instead of terminating the call and hanging up it , re rings …

Help ?

It is not a human caller, you or specifically your voicemail is providing the answer, Limit your maxmessage=(seconds) in /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf to ameliorate your costs.

(and in general make maxsilence=(seconds) in the same file a reasonable value)

Cool I set those features as you suggested .
Any Idea why they do that ?

Have you thought of using “privacy manager” on your inbound route?

Yes I have every idea, you are answering bogus calls, and for that you need to control them. Identify where the are coming from and blacklist them either from your SIP connections or your dahdi connections (less likely), they are relentless and way more cleaver than you or the current state of FreePBX and it’s intrusion detection system. There are many recipes that might further contain them, none yet officially supported by freepbx/schmooze, unfortunately for you.

Explore the real fail2ban and/or csf for a quicker recipe, otherwise just wait . . .

We have the Fail2ban working and running, we have blocked incoming ports …
It is just the calls coming in now that are odd and strange …

I have adjusted the maxmessage and the maxsilence plus I set the incoming tollfree DID to a new ring group and told the ring group to terminate the call after the rings … oddly it seems to re ring and not terminate …

I see that they are bogus calls , but when they are answered in the Voicemail , do they punch codes to make calls ?

What do they get out of except make asses of themselves …

And thank you for you help today :slight_smile: