Calls drop after switching to uverse

Everything was working fine on plain old DSL. I just switched to AT&T uverse and my IVR system is dropping calls after 30 seconds.

FreePBX is using a dyndns domain and the config has not changed, other than the external ip address, which is updated correctly.

Any ideas?

Was able to get it working by disabling every option on the advanced firewall settings of the modem:

Drop packets with invalid source or destination IP address
Protect against port scan
Drop packets with unknown ether types
Drop packets with invalid TCP flags
Detect and drop packet floods

Next, I’ll have to turn each one on one at a time to see which one is causing it.

Ultimately, I would like to set up a pfsense firewall, but I tried it and for some reason FreePbx will not detect IVR responses with the asterisk system behind pfsense.

Keep us updated on how this turns out, and how you like UVerse. I had thought about getting UVerse to replace my TW cable modem circuit, but doing some research seemed to indicate that UVerse latency was higher than TW cable. Also, quite a few people complained that when their UVerse service went out, AT&T was slow to respond.

The prices quoted for UVerse service were very agressive, though.

The problem so far with Uverse is that their techs are completely clueless, even Tier 2 (which took over an hour and a half to get to). The modem I have (NVG510) has no documentation and not many people experienced with it. When I signed up for the service, I had to pay AT&T for a tech to come out, because I wanted static ip addresses. Turns out, the tech didn’t do anything except hook the modem up (which they could have shipped to me and I could have done myself) and gave me the number to the call center in God Knows Where for tech support to configure it.

Yea, it will connect to the Internet out of the box, but the modem features leave a lot to be desired, which led me down the pfsense/untangle route.

It took two entire days to figure out how to make the thing passive and let my firewall do all the work. With my old Netgear, I was able to port forward to 5060 from only IP addresses I trusted. Couldn’t do it on the 510, it was either everyone gets in or no one.

I finally got Untangle to work as a firewall/router/DHCP server and everything seems to be okay. I hope connectivity remains up, because I do not want to ever have to call tech support again. It’s that bad. Can’t tell you about stability yet, as I’ve only had the connection here a week, but I had my DSL with AT&T and it was rock-solid for 3 years.

I’ve got TWC at the house, I think it’s 15/3 not sure, but I’ve been satisfied with it. I’m getting about 15/1 with Uverse. Would have loved to pick TWC or Fios, but they aren’t available at my office location. It was either Uverse or Metro-E for an exorbitant fee.

If you end up going with Uverse, be sure to get the static ip’s for an extra $15/month. It makes setting up a firewall infinitely easier, especially if your running PBIAF.

Somehow my comment ended up in the wrong spot. See above

I agree with everything you did except I would have gone with PFSense instead of Untangle.

Scott

I tried pfsense first, couldn’t get it to work correctly. Still playing with it, but meanwhile the Untangle box is running

Forgot to mention, pfsense works as in it does its firewall and routing duties. The problem is that with pfsense, the IVR system itself does not detect anything when the touchtone keys are pressed. Wierd, but when I took the pfsense box out everything worked, and works with Untangle.

I have learned, through years of experience, that any company that cannot give you good support in less than 1 hour will never be able to make anything work. Drop U-Verse. Go with cable, FIOS, DSL, T1, or whatever.

Unfortunately, my only choice for reasonably priced service is DSl & Uverse, both through AT&T. I never had a problem with DSL, and hopefully I won’t with Uverse now that it’s set up and working properly. My monthly bill for Uverse only went up by $15 (I think I’m paying $60) but I got a 15/1 connection (what I’m paying for is 18/1.5) and 5 static ip’s as opposed to the 3/768 I was getting with DSL along with an ip address that changed every 2 days. That was a royal PITA, as I remote into and connect to SQL Server boxes that I have locked down based on remote ip address.

Fios isn’t available and cable is $400 / month for a 15/2 connection (They will only install business class service here) and for that price, I may as well go with Metro-E for a 5/5 dedicated line.

When business justifies it, I will add Metro-E and keep uverse as a failover.

At my house, I’m getting 26/1 with cable, just did a speedtest to check.

Sounds like Time Warner in Socal. 27/1.

Yep, TWC in SoCal. Too bad they can’t give me the same package at my office in LA, otherwise I would have been all over it.