Call using another Server's Zap channel

Hey, doing some more fiddling with my Asterisk servers.

Here’s a weird question for you all… :slight_smile:

I’d have an IAX2 trunk set up so I can call between the two servers by extension number…
How would I go about dialing out from a box B extension (no zap card connected to PSTN) on a Box A Channel (this one is connnected to a few analog phone lines)

It really is not my goal to be able to do this, so don’t think I’m silly just yet, but I’m just curious how I would do it IF I ever needed to.

Yes, You can do it:)

Well, can you say how ??

http://freepbx.org/2006/10/26/connecting-two-freepbx-machines-together

the thread only discuss how to connect extension to extension drom 2 different servers.

anyone who knows how to used the trunk of the other servers zap?

thank you!

Ensure the call is dropped into the from-internal context, then calls will go out using standard outbound routing. If you want to force via zap then you will have to do an outbound route which forces zap for a given string of numbers and ensure that this given string of numbers is delivered correctly.

Joe

how to do it? i have 2 server one is with zap channel/card in the other one doesnt have any zap channel/card. how to connect directly to the trunk from my no zap card server to my with zap card server?

I’d have an IAX2 trunk set up so I can call between the two servers by extension number…
How would I go about dialing out from a box B extension (no zap card connected to PSTN) on a Box A Channel (this one is connnected to a few analog phone lines). how can i route my call to used the box A trunk zap channel (the call originated from box b). its like zap channel sharing. pls help me to configure my servers.

Thank you!

First, make sure that the inbound portion of your IAX trunk betweeen the 2 server has a context of from-internal. It probably already does, since you are dialing between boxes already. Now, create an oubound route that matches the patterns that you want to be dial out on the Zap trunk on the box that does not have the Zap trunks and tell the route to use the IAX trunk between the boxes.

Now when you dial a phone number, it will go out the IAX trunk to the other server. The other server will treat the call as coming from-internal and will match the number you dialed to the appropriate outbound route and out the Zap channels it will go.

I have a number of customers that are using this to save on toll calls.

See that’s all I thought it would be to work too, but there must be something I’m missing. I know I got it to work before… just wish I knew what was different now. My internal extensions work fine between the two servers.

I tried setting it to “context=from-internal” in the incoming settings on both systems but it still treats it as an external call. Can you please provide more information.

Thanks in advance

When creating the dial plan in the Outbound Route in Box B do not put a “|” in the numbers. For example, if your dial plan is normally 9|555xxxx, in Box B put 9555xxxx. When the call is sent to Box A via the IAX2 trunk the 9 will be stripped off at Box A and it will dial out via ZAP.