Call forwarding

Okay, true newbie question here, but …

I have my phone at my desk. I don’t yet, but I will, have an extension in the studio. If I’m going to be shooting for more than a half hour or so, I’d like to have calls for my normal extension ring in the studio until I cancel that. How is this done?

Van

CentOS 5.4
Asterisk 1.8.2.2
FreePBX 2.8.1.3

Okay, I was expecting something simple. When I got my PSTN service, they gave me a little card with the codes to forward my calls, something like *68 plus the number, which could be an extension or a foreign number. When you were done, you hit the same code again, I think, without the number, and it was canceled.

And in the case of the station where I’m most likely to want to do this, it’s an Northern Telecom analog desk phone using Dahdi, nothing fancy.

After a lot of rooting around, it seems that you’re supposed to be able to do this in Asterisk with
*72 #
and there are prompts. At least a number of messages here indicate problems with missing prompts. I get no prompts.

If I go ahead and enter the extension (ie, *721060#) without the prompts, Asterisk goes into an endless loop with 100% CPU:

-- Executing [*72@from-internal:8] GotoIf("DAHDI/1-1", "1?startread") in new stack
-- Goto (from-internal,*72,7)
-- Executing [*72@from-internal:7] Read("DAHDI/1-1", "toext,ent-target-attendant&then-press-pound,,,,") in new stack

The only way to recover is “service asterisk restart”.

Now what?

Oh, since I orginally asked, I switched to FreePBX 2.9.0beta2.1, and Module Administration shows I have Call Forward 2.9.0.1 enabled. When I check for updates it says that Recordings 3.3.11.2 is “Enabled and up to date”.

Van

You can do this directly from the spa 921, 922, 941, 942 series phones and quite honestly, many other SPA series would probably the the same.

Right on the phone there is a cfwd which acts the same as *740 in freepbx.

Haven’t heard of any way to do that, but you might look at follow me…Set the office phone to ring a few rings, then switch over to the studio phone.

This would let it ring at your phone all the time, but only on the studio phone when the first didn’t answer.

BF

Well what about setting that on the phone manually? Get a timer and when half an hour passes, set it up on the phone and cancel when you’re done with the shoot.
There’s day/night control as well as time groups and time conditions but that’s all dependent on the time of day and not when you’re in the studio.