Call Forwarding with Carrier Caller ID Restrictions

Now that most, if not, all carriers require the FROM field to be a number that is owned by you, how can we effectively allow someone to use the call forwarding features in a phone and allow the calls to be forwarded? I understand that I can force CID on the outbound trunk, but the problem is a lot of individual users have their own caller ID set at the extension level, so this cannot be forced for everyone. What is the best way around this, while maintaining the flexibility of the end user to set the call forwarding preference through the phone? Currently they all use Yealink phones. Through EPM, I push in the config the codes required for all of the call forwarding options to dial the appropriate code:

forward.always.on_code = *72
forward.always.off_code = *73
forward.busy.on_code = *90
forward.busy.off_code = *91
forward.no_answer.on_code = *52
forward.no_answer.off_code = *53

I’m not concerned about the calling party’s number passing through, I understand those days are long gone. But how can the call effectively be forwarded with the outbound caller id set to the extensions own CID using the phones built-in forwarding options?

AFAIK, you cannot get an A attestation (assuming you are talking about STIR/SHAKEN) on these calls unless you are forcing the caller ID to a number you own when it hits the PBX. You are likely to get a B attestation on these calls.

That process has disrupted the normal procedure of call forwarding, but not quite what I’m referring to. Simply put, I need to know how an end user can enable call forwarding on their phone using the call forwarding options and have it actually forward calls. Right now, when a call comes in with call forwarding enabled in FPBX, the call just fails over to the voicemail box on the FPBX. In the CDR logs, it shows that the call failed and that the extensions VM answered the call. It never rings on the cell phone. The only work around I can figure out for now is to enable FMFM and add their cell phone number as a destination with a “#”. It seems to work in that case. I also added the fixed CID in that section with their desk phone DID. So when the calls forward, it shows the desk phone DID calling on their cell phone, which is to be expected now because of shaken/stir.

This would be enabled normally with the *72 code, which you can check under Admin > Feature Codes to make sure it is still set to default.

You would dial *72, then enter the 10 digit phone number you want calls to be forwarded to, then #

Correct. And it does get enabled that way. FPBX reflects it is enabled and active. The problem is when FPBX forwards the call, it sends the caller ID to the PSTN of the calling party. So carrier rejects the call because it is not from a verified number (shaken/stir).

So in that case you should be using FMFM. Configure the cell phone in the recipient list, then allow them to toggle it on/off with the *21 code.

Skyetel gives these calls a B attestation and passes the caller ID through. All of my normal calls are A attestations. But call forwards with FM/FM get B since I want the original CID passed.

If your carrier doesn’t allow anything except what you own through them, then you need to contact them. Possibly, you simply need to add some header data for the call to be accepted as from you with a random other (but valid NANPA) CID.

That or get a new carrier for FM/FM calls.

You may force the CID on the outbound route over the CID on the extension (‘Override Extension’ option). Wouldn’t that help?

That would likely make his call go out, yes.

But passing calling party is far from gone as the OP stated. Not A attestations, but still valid.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.