Call forwarding question

Hi guys,
I have an extension (2035) that wants to forward all his calls to the secretary (2030)
But he wants his secretary to be able to call him.
Is there a possibility that all calls that comes into 2035 will be forwarded to 2030, but will not be forward if called from 2030?

Thanks

Just external calls or internal calls too? You could create an inbound route, if somebody calls the company-number+2035 it goes to extension 2030…

All calls, external and internal (except from ext 2030)

Create a ‘secret’ ring group with the boss’ extension that the Secretary uses to call or forward calls to the boss. If security thru obscurity is not good enough, the Class of Service module will actually prevent specific users from dialing the secret ring group.

You could also set up the phone with two accounts (extension 2035 and e.g. extension 2099). If the phone supports it, you can mute calls to extension 2035. The phone will only ring, if somebody dials 2099 or forwards a call to it…
The phone of the secretary should also be configured with two accounts (2035 and 2030)…both ringing with different ring tones…

I don’t think that a ‘secret ring group’ is the answer…
And Class Of Service will not forward the extension to 2030, it will only block or allow to reach 2035…

I’ll just forward 2035 to 2030, and create a new extension…

What if you ring both phones using Follow me ? He could answer only the calls that come from the secretary

What phones do you use? Dont your phones support two accounts? See above…

@chrischevy, he doesn’t want the phone ringing by him.
@Charles_Darwin, SPA504G

Cant you configure two line keys on your Cisco connected through two different extensions with your freePBX…with different or no ringtones?

Yes, I can
But that’s not what he wants…
I guess I’ll just create a new ext…

Thanks everyone for your input…

Once upon a time, there was something called the “Boss/Secretary Module”. It set up what you are trying to do through a wide array of machinations. It was a huge pain and had so many weird interactions that it just stopped being a thing.

The simplest solution was to set up a special context for the boss’ phone that disallowed calls to the boss’ phone from any but specific extensions. If the boss’ phone is dialed directly, the secretary’s phone is rung instead (kind of like a ring group, but not) and the secretary would park the call, then call the boss and let him know there was a call waiting on lot number ‘81’ (for example).

IMO you should consider the big picture. IMO it’s likely that the boss would want to answer calls from VIP customers directly (or at least from his wife and kids), so they don’t have to wait for and speak with the receptionist. Also, he may want to answer directly if he’s working after hours, when the receptionist is on break, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.