Call Forward to own extension

Came across this when one of my users mistakenly call forwarded (unconditional) their extension to their extension.

Any callers to that extension heard ringing, but the phone didn’t ring - it was in a loop, continuously forwarding to itself. Eventually it went to voicemail.

Is there any reason a person should be able to forward their extension to their own extension? I can’t think of any and maybe this should be prevented from happening in the dialplan.

Thoughts?

M

[quote=“mag”]Came across this when one of my users mistakenly call forwarded (unconditional) their extension to their extension.

Any callers to that extension heard ringing, but the phone didn’t ring - it was in a loop, continuously forwarding to itself. Eventually it went to voicemail.

Is there any reason a person should be able to forward their extension to their own extension? I can’t think of any and maybe this should be prevented from happening in the dialplan.

Thoughts?

M[/quote]

Yep…Had that happen here. Guess we need to post it as a bug.

Bill

Still (or again; I thought this was once working) have this with the latest FreePBX 2.3.
Is there a ticket for this in Trac? What is its number?

You can’t keep users from doing dumb or accidental things and even if you tried to keep them form forwarding to their own extension, when they turn around and do it on their End Point (vs. FreePBX CF feature code) you still have the same problem. Or forwarding 2 extensions at each other, etc.

What FreePBX does is keep a ‘TTL’ style counter to address such infinite loops. This makes it eventually terminate so that you don’t completely lock up the system. Since this could take a while, depending on the speed of your system - it can also end up failing over to voicemail which sounds like what happened here - since the original call eventually timed out and gave up killing the chain of events.

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http//freepbx.org - IRC #freepbx