Busy Tone - Remote Disconnect Disabled by Default

So we got a report from one of our clients. Everyone’s phone started playing a busy tone when a call ended. This was first noted when it started happening after every page. This is a factory environment, so lots of paging.

Turns out this was due to the latest phone firmware (which we pushed to fix the Wake on VM button). It added a setting for Remote Disconnect and had it disabled by default. I didn’t see mention of Remote Disconnect in the phone firmware release notes and didn’t think to check the EPM release notes.

I submitted a bug report, and I was told the setting to enable that was in EPM and to not use the Bug Board for Support Issues.

From my perspective, this was not a support issue. This was a bug. Something that was working one way was doing something that was perceived as incorrect by both us and the client.

This is a PBXact at the client site, and the setting in EPM is not yet available for PBXact customers. I had to update the module manually in order to enable Remote Disconnect and get it fixed.

Why would this even be added as a setting? A busy tone is generally associated with an error. Is that something that a lot of people want? And if you are going to add such a setting, why would you default it as working opposite of how the device has been working to this point? The users that are keen to include this can opt-in, rather than requiring everyone else to opt-out.

Just a thought for when adding settings like this in the future.

This was not a new change in firmware. It was a chnage in EPM to add it as users were complaining they wanted on remote party disconnect to ve able to play the setting so we exposed it in EPM.

Just curious as to the use case scenario where someone wants to hear a busy signal on call disconnect. I’m sure there’s a reason, I just can’t think of it.

I guess that is what it is - they want a distinction on who is hanging up the call - but our users revolt, as do we, when hearing this - especially with on-net calls.

That is why it’s a option you can turn on or off.