BLF to indicate if ANY extension is in use?

Is there any way to do a BLF to indicate whether or not ANY extension (or, maybe better said, channel?) is in use?

Basically, I want to know if anyone is actively using their extension to either talk to another extension or outside line. Can I get a hint for that somehow so that I can do a BLF to indicate that the system is in use for any call currently?

It depends on your phones. Digium/Sangoma D- and S-series support it. Cisco phones need some adaptations.

Oh I misunderstood your question. You want to know, if the system ist in use!

Sorry, I should have clarified. I figured it was more of an issue with configuring the right hint for any phone as opposed to phone-specific. I am using Yealink phones.

I dont know if this is possible. You want the Asterisk-info/Channels stuff on a blf-button on your phone? e.g. red=active calls

Yes. Basically, I’d want one of these two things:

1. A BLF to indicate if ANY extension is in use. Basically, if you go to the Asterisk Info page in the GUI, it gives a Channel Count to tell if anything is in use. If these are all 0, I’d want green. If anything is 1, then red.

or, if I can’t have that, then I’d be ok with:

1. A BLF to indicate if any trunk is in use – so I could tell if there was an inbound or outbound call in progress.

I use Twilio’s Elastic SIP for my trunks.

You can define a hint to monitor multiple devices, but that will need to be constantly updated whenever you create new extensions. Unless you need instantaneous notifications, I think the best way to do this is to create a script that monitors channels and sets a hint as needed, then cron the script.

Got ya.

Can I monitor trunks easily? I just have two trunks – could I make a hunt to monitor those and use that for the BLF?

How many extensions does your phone system have? How many blf-buttons does your phone have? It would be much easier, if you create a blf-button for every extension…if possible.

That won’t work. The real issue is that I am attempting to monitor multiple FreePBX systems and just want to know if anyone is using an extension on that system.

Right now, I have one phone that I have as an extension on each of those systems. There are 8 FreePBX installations total. Each has their own normal extensions and trunks – they are completely separate systems. But, on my “monitoring phone”, I have 8 accounts – each with one extension on each system. I then have multiple “sidecar” extensions – which list a bunch of the BLFs for the extensions on each system. So, I’m kinda doing what you are talking about now. The problem is – it has gotten a bit crazy. I have 3 sidecars each with 20 BLFs – and I’m running out of spots. :slight_smile:

My thought was that if I could do a BLF that tells me if any extension is in use, then I could compact this all down to a single sidecar that just tells me if anyone is currently using any extension on one of those systems. (Or, if I can’t get that, then just tell me if anyone is on an outside call if any trunk is in use.)

I tested this with an edit to extensions_override_freepbx.conf and it appears to be working – but I agree it is a pain to have to update every time I add extensions.

What if I just wanted to monitor outside calls (in or out) – basically, if a trunk was in use? Is there something I can do to monitor the trucks by defining a hint for them? Are they something that you can do a hint for? I tried just doing PJSIP/Trunk-Name since that is how they show up in the Channel list, but that did not appear to work for creating a hint.

EDIT: I take that back! PJSIP/Trunk-Name actually appears to work. I need to do more testing to make sure, but it appears to be valid.

So, I confirmed that this appears to work to monitor PJSIP trunks by name. I edited “extensions_override_freepbx.conf” like the following:

[ext-local]
exten=> 998,hint,PJSIP/Twilio-US1&PJSIP/Twilio-US2

I have 998 as a virtual extension. Twilio-US1 and Twilio-US2 are my two trunks. I can then set a BLF to monitor x998 and it does as I want in that it tells me if either of those trunks is in use at all.

Granted, this doesn’t tell me if two extensions are talking just to each other – or if someone is accessing their voicemail – but I can live with that. I mainly just wanted to know if an outside call was in-progress or not and this seems to do it.

1 Like

I believe the recommended place to add these custom stuff is in extensions_custom.conf
In the override file you’d put stuff that needs to override the FreePBX dialplan.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.