Black and White hardware requirements

I cant seem to find, a old fashion black and white hardware requirement list for the newest FREEPBX Distro.

I find articles, that to be honest, dont say a whole lot of anything except words,

Can someone point me?

I know that there is certain requirements to be meet because I am running a distro version 13 now. but can not update to 14. Has to be hardware issues. So, If I want to continue to stay current, I will have to step up in hardware.

Thanks
Tom

I use the following specs when building a freePBX server - 12, 13, 14, etc.
Asus motherboard
Intel G4440 CPU
4G or 8G RAM (more is for larger systems)
2x 120G SSD (was using 2x 500G drives before early this year)
500w power supply or better, name-brand is preferable
rack-mount 3u chassis
No optical drive.

Download your ISO onto flash drive, boot, install, update, configure.

However, there is no direct upgrade path from 13 to 14. Backup, install, restore.

Hey CTG,
Thanks for taking time to reply.
What CPU range needs to be observed?

Tom

I can’t answer your question directly, but I do know the smarter folks here will need stuff like this:

1. How many simultaneous internal users?
  2. How many simultaneous external callers?
  3. Are you all VoIP or needing to support circuit switched voice?
  4. Are you trans-coding audio?
  5. Are you recording lots of calls?
  6. Are you converting voicemails from wav to mp3 before sending?
  7. Any other non-standard customization to the system that need CPU cycles?

Basic Household use, maybe 2 calls max. will be all voip.

I have not done anything with transcoding?
have never use call recording, but if it did, would be just one call.

Converting emails before sending? sending where? lol sorry, I am just basic user, if i look at phone and it flashing, i know there is email. no need to send anything anywhere…

A Rasperry pi will likely suffice, image the sd card regularly

I dont understand how Pi will run if what I have now wont. I also dont see running a pi and constantly have to image the sd card and go through set up all the time to keep it going.

i guess i’ll just stay at version 13 till its just so beaten up that I give up on voip / landline type calling and go Cell like the rest of the world.

Asterisk 13 and FreePBX 14 working for many others, the project is very active so expect upgrades scripts regularly.

http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org

For your use case once you have it fully customized, make an sd image, use a copy of that image if the sd card in use ever gets corrupted . No need to constantly do anything apart from applying upgrades/updates which you would have to do on any hardware.

2 Likes

Not understanding the problem. RasPBX is on FreePBX 14. In addition to easily being able to handle several calls there are other big advantages to the Pi.

It is very power efficient. You could power it off a big battery for days.
The hardware is very inexpensive.

For a home use case I would argue it’s almost perfect except for the most demanding of conditions.

http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/downloads/

The primary drawback is that the SD cards are more prone to corruption. I will say, as someone who has regularly used Pi’s for years, this has never happened to me.

You can copy the sd cards to have one as a backup, or look at using a usb connected hard drive and bypass sdcards all together.

Something to consider for sure…

1 Like

This is likely the best advice I’ve heard for RasPi installations.

Worth mentioning the SD card bypass only works on the Raspberry Pi 3.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.