Best upgrade path from 5.211.65-16 to new hardware?

Hello,

I am looking for best upgrade path. We have a dedicated physical machine for a small medical office. 15 or so internal extensions. 1 trunk. Small simple installation, works great.

Right now we are running on: 5.211.65-16 and I’d like to update us to the latest version and also migrate us to a virtual machine on our VMWare installation. From what I have read for a small installation like this it should be fine on virtual hardware. No telephony hardware.

I would like to do a clean installation on the VM of the FreePBX distribution. However, I’ve read that you cannot do a restore from a previous version. The backups created are version specific.

What is my best upgrade path or plan here? Should I take the current physical machine and run through the upgrade script bringing it to current, make a backup and then restore it to the new installed machine of the same version?

I also have commercial modules (endpoint, REST Apps). How will those get moved over to the new installation?

Thanks!

-jr

I’ll let the Sangoma folks field the commercial modules part, but if it were me, for an install that size, I’d just build a fresh system.

You know, the more I think about it the more I think you are right… Just hate thinking I’m going to miss something. :frowning:

-jr

As long as these modules are in a support contract then you will get the newest versions. Otherwise you will have to renew them

So, if I reset the ZEND ID for the new machine I will get the same versions on the new fresh installed version. The modules work well for me and this is a real installation in a real office with real money on the line. I don’t mind getting a support contract if it is reasonable.

One thing is its difficult to find out exactly what I need.

Just a heads up: I ran into audio issues on a virtualized (Hyper-V) platform and support ended up telling me they wouldn’t help because I wasn’t on a “proper” hypervisor. So you might want to check with them about how they view VMware…

I have done several upgrades and in the process have virtualized under vmware without issue.
My suggestion would be to install the same exact version on vmware, do a restore from you physical box, take a snapshot in case a rollback is required, then upgrade everything to the current versions. Once completed, turn off the old box, run the virtualized box and make sure everything works. Keep the old server on hand a few days just in case you need to back out, if not you’re good to go.

It’s been working fine for us so far. I basically used upgrade scripts on old machine to bring that old machine on physical hardware to latest version. Then I did backup/restore to a fresh install on the VM. So far it’s been working great for us.

-jr