Best Practice or What's the Difference?

I have a remote FreePBX system connected with only outgoing peer details set, no incoming user details. Works great; my 2XX extensions can be dialed from the remote 1XX extensions and vice versa.

On the remote system, 1XX, I need to add a 2XX extension to a ring group so it will ring the extension on the local system. Since I have an IAX trunk set and dial plan set up, I think I can use either;

local/2XX@from-internal or
Local/2XX@outbound-allroutes

when adding a custom extension under ‘Dial’. I haven’t done it yet but would like it to work right out of the box and I think either will work.

What’s the best way? Is there a better way?

Thanks

John

Thanks!

One way that has worked for years

http://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4161588

The tie-line trunk(s) needs to be in the from-internal context or it won’t see your RG’s, forward your RG’s through the trunk symetrically and don’t make the mistake of having the same RG’s on both boxes.

@Dicko, you have me confused. The wiki you linked shows how to create IAX trunks on the two systems and how to add routes out.

I have already done that and many times. There was no mention of creating a custom extension which is what I intend to do so that I can set an IVR response to, say extension 255, and it will dial out IAX to the other system and ring say extension 155.

I’m just trying to figure out what is best in my example above.

Thanks.

ayl endpoint would need to be uniquely resolvable locally or explicitly forwarded to the other PBX if necessary.expand your outbound routes bidirectionally to suit.just like your extant extensions

No need for a custom extension. To add non-local extensions or DIDs to a ring group, suffix the numbers with a # character. Read the tool tip for the Extension List field.

Thanks guys! I ended up making a custom extension with
local/2XX@from-internal
and it works well and easily for adding to ring groups etc.

I guess there is no best practice or would it be the hashtag #.?

John