Backup/Restore from FreePBX v2.9.0.7/Asterisk v1.6.2.2.0 to latest revision

All;

I am new to the Asterisk world, and am currently experiencing a bugger of a time getting my head wrapped around this interesting application. I am currently tasked with migrating from a inherited FreePBX v2.9.0.7/Asterisk v1.6.2.2.0 system to FreePBX 2.10.1.2/Asterisk v1.8.11.

I have attempted unsuccessfully to import the daily backup files from the current production system to the new system without any success. might anyone here offer any guidance and if possible point me to a very easy to read step-by-step guide to making this a reality.

In addition to learning VOIP telephony, I am also having to cut my teeth on learning the *nix environment as well, after serving as a prior Windows administrator. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance you all may bring to bear.

Sincerely,

Kevin

In general it is impossible to “backup and restore” successfully to a version of FreePBX that is not at the same level i.e. 2.N.

Either upgrade the old machine or install a version of FreePBX that agrees with it an then upgrade to “latest”. It is probably safest to do the same with your Asterisk versions.

This probably means manually installing the “new” system as I don’t think there are any official FreePBX iso’s that match,

http://downloads.freepbxdistro.org/ISO/

Maybe PIAF will cover you though if you choose the right iso from them.

Neither distro’s currently support direct upgrading to newer OS’s though so make sure you use only older hardware or you might be further frustrated as in genereal those needed drivers are not included.

Yea, I was afraid this may be the answer I would get. The only issue with upgrading the current prod server is my boss is concerned about it failing completely. That and my predecessor who configured it (is no longer of this earth) utilized as he stated “some form of *nix high-availability”. The prod server is actually two boxes running in some sort of master-slave configuration. I inquired about doing a P2V with VMWare on the secondary box and attempting to upgrade it to the latest revisions, but that idea was nixed. So, any chance of a good location where one may be able to obtain the necessary iso’s on the net? I’ve done several Google searches and trolled SourceForge, but have come up empty.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Sorry but unless you are seriously linux capable, none of the currently available iso’s support or even are conscious of real High Availability, there are some “work arounds” but they arte very far from seemless or automatic, and all require human intervention to “switch”

corosync/iscsi/drbd or similar technologies (which I assume our dearly departed colleague did) have yet to be addressed by any of them. You will have to build from scratch and I suggest you start with a Debian based OS as it is intrinsically “upgradable”, there are plenty of recipes out there to do it, I even wrote some of them, maybe pm me, you never know, if your budget is sufficient . . .

This is clearly a critical system. I would highly suggest engaging professional assistance.

The cards are stacked against you without knowledge of the previous configuration.

The FreePBX team may be able to help but if you stray too far from a standard config they simply are not going to be able to help.

If you want to go down the route you can send me a PM and I could do an evaluation and recommend the right resources, some combination of FreePBX and outside Linux help more than likely.

I hope things work out for you.

I can’t disagree with SkyKingOH, your very first question should be “Have you ever successfully implemented a true High Availabilty system with FreePBX and Asterisk?”, If the answer is anything but a 100% unqualified “absoulutely” then call me, all my systems are so setup :wink: . . .

I truly appreciate all the comments to my initial posting. I will need to confer with my boss prior to soliciting any outside (and possibly paid) assistance outside of any continued “goodness of your hearts” forum replies.

Well, another question I have is this; We have located the original iso image used to install the current prod PBX system (it is AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-x86_64.iso) and I have created a VM in ESXI with it. The issue I am running into at this time is once the modules are updated to as close as possible to the current prod system, whenever I attempt to perform a restoration of the backup files produced daily from the prod server, upon attempting to commit the changes, i get the error “[FATAL] Unable to connect to Asterisk Manager from /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf, aborting”. Looking at the installed modules, it appears that performing a full restoration places all modules on the VM at the same version of the prod server, but some items such as the PBX End Point Manager on the VM are at v2.9.2.9, but after the restoration, it shows up at v2.9.1.2.

Thoughts and/or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

First the new box eeds to havbe the same passwords in /etc/asterisk/manager* tree as the old box for backup and restore to work without that error. Save yourself later pain, The AsteriskNOW distro is “very broken”, don’t go down that road.

That’s not a big issue.

Your main issue is you need to make sure your Asterisk manager password match in /etc/asterisk/manager.conf

Ah, thats prolly where the above fatal error originates from. Ok, well, I have more or less figured this would be a complete rebuild and manual migration from scratch. I guess I am hard-headed in wanting to attempt to recover the current system, and as I said before, being weak in the *nix/asterisk realm, no better way to get intimate with both than this.

Again, thank you all for your counsel, best wishes for a Merry Christmas, a safe and happy New Year, and a few prayers for the newest member of this Asterisk community!

Cheers,

Kevin

Also, thanks for pointing out the specific locations of files I need to review. It is almost maddening trying to figure out how *nix operates from what I would refer to as a directory structure versus my knowledge of Windows.

Some of us have a bigger problem with M$ file systems, it is not really logical at all (and a really badly designed file system anyway IMHO and many others) and lacks all the elegance of unix thinking.

A quick primer on Linux for the M$ impaired:-

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

particularly as to the file system:-

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html

as a quick intro as to the why’s and the conventional where’s , this reference for a RedHAt based system, but genereally very relevant.