Backup of FreePbx server - alternate

Hello
Before I go up to V14 on my distro, I wanted to see if I could make a clone of the single hdd as a backup protection. I tried ‘device to device’ using a current Clonezilla live & for the most part it ran trouble free, dumping onto another identical hdd.
Upon switching the drives & starting up, after the progress color bars finished, it froze reported a kernel panic - not syncing. attempted to kill init!
Since SBC’s register the hdd s/n to the install, does FreePBX distro’s do something the same?
Thanks, mark

on boot interrupt the process and choose an earlier kernel.

Thanks for the reply - just got back to this now.
on the original drive, both shown kernels boot: on the cloned drive neither work.
2.6.32-504.8.1.e16.i686 and 2.6.32-642.6.2.e16.i686. I did use the 32 bit clonezilla live.
any thoughts?

Did you retry the clonezilla’ing ?

A slower way is

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4M conv=sparse

but make sure that /dev/sda is your working drive and /dev/sdb is >= in size than /dev/sda

the uuids of the disks will be the same but that won’t be a problem in most cases, you can

tune2fs -U $(uuidgen) /dev/sdbX

if you insist but make sure /etc/fstab is reflective of your changes.

Heavy sigh… I ran the clonezilla again & it worked. The only thing I can think of is that the clone drive had been set-up the first time through & that could of helped. Pretty slick I must say.
Thanks for your reply & I will note your dd solution…
Cheers, Mark

you might want to look at http://mondorescue.org , its even slicker and does the same thing with no “down-time”

You might want to look at conclusion of this thread. I was able to successfully clone a hard drive using rsync.

You might have tried the second solution, it offers all the advantages of the first and the third solution but with none of the “down-time” needed and almost no RTFM’ing

Thanks guys. I lucked out on the ‘update all modules first’ approach. And now have a clone drive of the instance for disaster recovery. Unfortunately I don’t have a spare PC to have a backup server (mondo) like I did 10-15 years ago… :slight_smile: Mark

mondo can run happily on your pbx and can spit out an iso file or write to a usb stick

Thanks for the idea. I appreciate simple infrastructure solutions! M

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.