Automatic Trunk Failover

Hello Everyone,

we’re trying to implement automatic DID/Trunk failover in case of power failure or internet disconnection or what ever may happen at the client premise but so far our results have not been satisfying.

Here’s how we’re normaly setup:

DID/inbound route —to— SIP Trunk—to— client PBX (normal service / no Failover)

FailOver Attempts

So far we’ve tried:

#1 (Misc Dest)

Inbound Route (5556667777)— to — Misc Destination (XYZ)
Misc Destination (XYZ) — Dial -------- *5556667777
Outbound Route (XYZ) — Trunk Sequence : Trunk A (normal service)
Trunk B (out of service)
Dial Pattern : Prefix * / Number 5556667777

Result: The failover works but it strip the Caller ID

#2 (Ring Group)

Inbound Route (5556667777) — to — Ring Group (XYZ)
Ring Group — Dial — EXT: *5556667777#
20 sec
IF NO ANSWER : Terminate call (we only want the call to be FWD if the trunk fail)
Outbound Route (XYZ) — Trunk Sequence : Trunk A (normal service)
Trunk B (out of service)
Dial Pattern : Prefix * / Number 5556667777

Result: The CallerID works but the failover doesn’t, the call is terminated instead of going to the other trunk.

Any other recipies for acheiving our results would be appreciated !

Thanks to all

I am a little confused.
Can you please tell us where your PBX is located, Trunks etc?
And then what you are trying to accomplish?

Hi Pitzkey,

we are the interconnector located in between the phone’s Major and our customer.
We get wholesale sip trunk that goes in our FreePBX and we resell them to our customer.
We have a Trunk from the Major’s and our customer have trunks connected to our system.

What we are trying to do is this:

If our customer Trunks/System goes down, we want their call to be FWD to either our IVR (another trunkated freepbx) or customer cell phones (misc destination) so that they always receive their calls no mather what happens.

We want this process to automatic. So if the FreePBX see s that the trunk going to our client is UNREACHABLE then it goes to the alternate route.

I hope i’m being clearer !

Thanks for the response

I would suggest looking into SBCs, FreePBX isn’t designed to do Trunking.

But if you want to use FreePBX you can use the Trunk option Continue if Busy, or use some custom code to manipulate the busy destination.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.