Asterisk does not launch

Hello everyone. I am less than a noobie on this one!
I am the pastor of a church where we have a Trixbox phone system (?) with Asterisk on it. The version of Trixbox might be 2.6.2.3 but the “System Status Version” says 2.6.2.5.

Everything was working fine last week then over the weekend the phones died. When I log into Trixbox via the web portal I’m told that Asterisk is not running.
I’m given two warnings:
Critical Error retrieve_conf failed, config not applied
Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1
Added 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
(freepbx.RCONFFAIL)

and

Critical Error Asterisk Manager Connection Failure
Failed to connect to the Asterisk manager through port: 5038
Added 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.FATAL)

As far as I know nothing was changed at any point last week or over the weekend. Our internet and network connections work perfectly fine. I have rebooted everything several times in different orders. Now I’m lost.
Can anyone help?

Hey Steve,
That is a very old deprecated and no longer supported version (i have 1 left in production now).
Firstly i would be getting into the asterisk CLI and checking that no calls are being made without your knowledge.
I have no idea what is causing it but it may be your credentials for your manager have been changed (malicious attack maybe?)
Maybe hope that either @dicko or @SkykingOH come along soon as they were both very active in the Trixbox days.

Best advice though is to download the FreePBX Distro and screenshot your current setup for trunks, ring groups, queues, extensions, inbound and outbound routes, and time conditions etc and rebuild on new platform.
Also, call your ITSP and make sure that there has not been any sudden surge in calls going out of your system.

Thanks Mark. Sometimes one just needs to be told to start over. :smile:

Steve - Hi, we will still work on trixbox systems and have significant experience in upgrading them.

We can probably fix what you have as triage move and then talk about your next steps.

Out office is in Cleveland OH 216 785 2700 on Eastern Standard Time. We have both English and Spanish speaking engineers available. our web site is http://www.microadv.com

Also you may want to speak with Ben Roberts, he works will our H.O.W. clients.

Do you know how to login to the command line interface of the server? If so can you ping Internet? Do you have any ports from the Internet open to the server?

Thanks, let us know if we can help.

Thanks Skyking. I took the plunge and upgraded to FreePBX. I’m just struggling to get my head around it now. My phones are still saying, “No Service” so I’m no further along. I might have to get a local in to take a look at it.
Thanks for your offer though. :smile: