Asterisk 16 Won't Start

I have been using Asterisk 13 on FreePBX 14.0.5.2. System and modules are up to date. I wanted to update to Asterisk 16 for the PJSIP performance. Using “asterisk-version-switch”, I can successfully switch between Asterisk 13 and 15. However, whenever selecting Asterisk 16, I receive an error. A screen recording of the process is here. After the switch, Asterisk 16 will not start and I am forced to revert to Asterisk 13 or 15. Here are logs and support files.

Your log file is massive and it is unclear when you attempted to start asterisk compared to when you reverted… Next time, instead of making us watch a 1min 35sec youtube video of you trying to install Asterisk try to pin point us to the error in question or copy and paste the error here. It makes for quicker debugging.

Also you should go back and install Asterisk 16 like you did but after the error try to connect to asterisk:

asterisk -rvvvvv

if that doesnt work then try to start asterisk manually in the foreground

asterisk -fd

Not trying to waste your time, simply trying to provide all of the information.

[root@phones ~]# asterisk -rvvvvv
Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)
[root@phones ~]# asterisk -fd
Seeding global EID '00:0c:29:64:2b:eb' from 'eth0' using 'siocgifhwaddr'
Parsing /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf
Parsing /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf
XSLT support not found. XML documentation may be incomplete.
XSLT support not found. XML documentation may be incomplete.
UUID system initiated
PBX UUID: eea80e2f-12e0-4395-abb7-4081b8646cd7
Resetting translation matrix
Unable to load config file 'stasis.conf'
Could not load Stasis configuration; using defaults
[Dec 16 18:30:57] **DEBUG** [23043]: **config.c** : **2197** **config_text_file_load** : Parsing /etc/asterisk/logger.conf
[Dec 16 18:30:57] **DEBUG** [23043]: **config.c** : **2197** **config_text_file_load** : Parsing /etc/asterisk/logger_general_additional.conf
[Dec 16 18:30:57] **DEBUG** [23043]: **config.c** : **2197** **config_text_file_load** : Parsing /etc/asterisk/logger_general_custom.conf
[Dec 16 18:30:57] **DEBUG** [23043]: **config.c** : **2197** **config_text_file_load** : Parsing /etc/asterisk/logger_logfiles_additional.conf
[Dec 16 18:30:57] **DEBUG** [23043]: **config.c** : **2197** **config_text_file_load** : Parsing /etc/asterisk/logger_logfiles_custom.conf
[2018-12-16 18:30:57] **DEBUG** [23043]: **channel.c** : **562** **ast_channel_register** : Registered handler for 'Surrogate' (Surrogate channel used to pull channel from an application)
[2018-12-16 18:30:57] **DEBUG** [23043]: **channel.c** : **562** **ast_channel_register** : Registered handler for 'Local' (Local Proxy Channel Driver)
[2018-12-16 18:30:57] **DEBUG** [23043]: **config.c** : **2197** **config_text_file_load** : Parsing /etc/asterisk/modules.conf
[2018-12-16 18:30:57] **NOTICE** [23043]: **loader.c** : **2224** **load_modules** : 335 modules will be loaded.
Segmentation fault

I would try to uninstall Asterisk completely from your system and then try the script again as unfortunately the error is just “Segmentation fault” there’s nothing to really go on. You probably have a bad module sitting in the modules folder though. So a clean uninstall of asterisk is a good start

yum remove asterisk*
asterisk-version-switch

“Error: Trying to remove “sangoma-pbx”, which is protected” when I run yum remove asterisk*

ok go into /var/lib/asterisk/modules or /var/lib64/asterisk/modules

and remove every .so in there.

I am using the official distro. There is a /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules folder containing .so modules, but there is not a /var/lib/asterisk/modules directory. I want to confirm before deleting the contents that this correct to remove.

Notice my OR

Your “or” references two directories contained in “/var”. My files are in “/usr”. I read your statement just fine.

OK there is actually

/usr/lib/asterisk/modules

and

/usr/lib64/asterisk/modules

Run this command

rm -f /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/*.so
asterisk-version-switch

Success. Thank you very much. Successfully updated to Asterisk 16.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.