Any way to disable module signature checking for an individual module?

Wow, that bolsters your underlying trust factor in which way? , anonymous folks can circumvent your security and f%# wiih your site willy nilly ? Come on you deserved that :smile:

1 Like

How about an idea like this:

• create another non-root and non-wheel user on the machine,
  • as root - change the ownership of the module files TO the designated user that is in the same group as the original (so that the permissions can still be rwxr-xr-x or even rwxr-xā€” maybe?)
  • the integrity check while encountering such files, owned by the designated user (e.g. also member of an ā€˜allowed_editorsā€™ group), can maybe keep track of the changes in the checksum and show/send an alert when this changes, without affecting the ā€˜officialā€™ module integrity checking online upon updates; (a single permanently dismissable alert on status page ? A line of text in Module Admin showing ā€˜this module has been edited locally last on $date?ā€™ with a button ā€˜revert back to online versionā€™ ?)
  • mid-step: when ā€˜checking for updatesā€™ and checking the integrity, display them a choice: we noticed this module has file(s) owned by $allowed_editor, last changed on $date, do you want to keep or revert to online version?
    (- advanced: do a 3 way merge :wink: )
  • this should have the effect, that if attacker becomes www-data, they can read but canā€™t write to the changed file(s), AND an owner who wants to give a third party HE trusts, the right to edit things on HIS machine, will get a notice every time they do that.
  • bottom line is: this will not bypass the integrity check, will not disable it completely, but make it really flexible for those who know what they are doing (and still want to be safe too)

Howā€™s that sound?

(+xrobeau has suggested changing to ownership by root originally on one of above posts, but I can see where that goes with people who DONā€™T want to give root to their allowed_editorsā€¦)

Again. Rob never said that. There is massive confusion here. He said a single root owned master file that has other keys in it

Hmmā€¦ post 70, please:

i see where my confusion came from :L

He is talking about a root owned master file. Not root owning all files in html. That would prevent updates. Same as your other method.

OK soā€¦ webupdates will not update locally modded files ?
that would ACTUALLY do what is expected of it thenā€¦
Why?
because the POINT of local modification is, we donā€™t want to revert it without being asked. Twice.
Neither we want chown system to revert that ownership setting. so that will need a mod, yes.
The assumption here is, we were told, we need to know what we are doing before we tinker.
And yes, root shall not own files in html, hence the special user/group idea.

Ok but since you donā€™t understand how the underlying system works that is a very bad practice. Firstly say you lock out a file in a module. Great. The way the subsystem works is that you can never update that module. Until you remove the lock on that one file. You canā€™t update around just that file, itā€™s all or nothingā€¦ which causes a bigger issue with Framework because in framework it over writes all files at the same time throughout the system. If you locked a file down from being modified and we made changes to its structure and other new items expect those changes then bam. You are SOL as your system would be totally unmaintainable. It would crash and there would be no way for FreePBX to help you out of it.

Please read the whole thing before starting your reply, as I backtrack on some of the things I say further downā€¦ :smile:

If this is the real problem then I believe youā€™ve added a decent solution with module signing.

But, as a security person, my inclination would be to look for the root cause; how did the attacker get into the system in the first place? Making malicious edits to modules is the effect, not the cause. Module signing fixes the effect of the attack, it doesnā€™t prevent the cause. A better solution would be to find how theyā€™re getting into the system and stopping them at that point.

I like the GPG signatures the same way as I like them on RedHat et al. But in the latter cases the signing is just for initial installs. If I download rdesktop from yum, its signature will be verified and the package will be installed. After that I can edit any of the files that were contained in the package and the system isnā€™t going to complain because the signature will never be checked again. I would like that type of signature checking with FreePBX modules, but that can only exist if, as I said earlier, the root cause of the attacks that lead to the implementation of module signing is fixed. In the meantime, I think the constant validation that is currently implemented is fine due to the real attacks that it prevents/complains about.

I totally agree. Binary PHP sucks. My point was simply that itā€™s the only way to actually prevent malicious modifications (and even then the good hackers can still finesse the binaries)

Iā€™m sorry if I sounded rude in any of my posts. Nothing was meant to be rude or passive aggressive (as Iā€™ve seen in recent replies to this thread). What I found to be annoying was that it took me about an entire day to trace back PHP and db calls to eventually find the file I edited to implement my hack only to find how trivial the hack actually was.

We have 3 people at my company who manage our multi-tenant voip server. When I make an edit, I immediately get calls/emails, ā€œhey, voip is saying files have been tampered with, you should check it outā€. sigh ā€œYes, thatā€™s me, Iā€™m working.ā€ That constant back and forth is annoying, but whatā€™s even more annoying is that, because itā€™s a multi-tenant system and changes are constantly being made, the alerts keep coming back. Every time the ā€œApply Configā€ button is pressed the modules get verified again and the alert that I dismissed is back. In addition, 2 big red alert boxes are constantly in the System Overview window in the dashboard. That makes the other 2 admins constantly tell me that somethingā€™s wrong and I have to deal with it. Annoying. I understand this is exactly what you want in the case of malicious modifications, but itā€™s not what I wanted after my legit edits.

As far as self-signing is concerned, you shouldnā€™t do that. Then there is nothing stopping an attacker from breaking in, creating a key, and signing all of his malicious edits. Making someone reach out to you to get a legit key is the only way to have any sort of verification that signed code was done legitimately (then itā€™s on you guys to weed out hackers requesting keys :smile:)

Iā€™m sorry for my long diatribes, especially since I seem to be 1 of 2 people who care about editing modules on my server. Iā€™m most likely just wasting the time of everyone hereā€¦

So let me just end with some final thoughts on this whole thread:

• The whole reason I joined this thread was because after I found how trivial solving the OPā€™s request was I was annoyed that no one helped him implement it 87 replies ago. Someone could have just told him, ā€œhey, this is insecure, here are the pitfalls, but if this is something you need to do hereā€™s how you can do itā€.
  • There seem to be legit attacks on modules happening, so getting rid of the constant sig checking is a bad idea.
  • Having a root-owned file somewhere that contains override hashes seems like a good idea. Web-user canā€™t touch it, so no chance of attack that way. Obviously it needs to be kept out of directories that web-user needs to work with to keep module updates working, but you guys already know thatā€¦

So Iā€™ll let it at that. No reason to beat a dead horse.

This is perhaps off topic, but I will share my recipe, it doesnā€™t use sexy pgp signing but has certain advantages when it comes to recovery and is just good old bash and perl scripting and some general linux utilities already installed on every machine. I have used it successfully for several years and it has occasionally protected me from myself :smile: and a couple of old invasions of /recordings

Install rnapshot

yum|apt-get install rsnapshot

with a schedule to suit, I use a thirty minute window, in /etc/rsnapshot.conf the pertinent lines for asterisk are.

snapshot_root /rsnapshot/
cmd_postexec /var/lib/asterisk/bin/rsnappost
retain interval 48
retain daily 7
retain weekly 4
retain monthly 3
backup /etc/asterisk asterisketc/
backup /var/www/html webroot/

/var/lib/asterisk/bin/rsnappost contains

#!/bin/bash
diff -r /rsnapshot/interval.1/webroot/admin /rsnapshot/interval.0/webroot/admin
diff -r /rsnapshot/interval.1/asterisketc /rsnapshot/interval.0/asterisketc

and /etc/cron.d/rsnapshot

0,30 * * * * root /usr/bin/rsnapshot interval
30 0 * * * root /usr/bin/rsnapshot daily
0 3 * * 1 root /usr/bin/rsnapshot weekly
30 2 1 * * root /usr/bin/rsnapshot monthly

Thatā€™s all there is to it, a watchful system monitor that uses cron to email alerts on changes, and that includes changes done into /etc/asterisk perhaps as an audit trail of what got done and when, expected or not. I feel it covers all of the pgp signing verification efforts plus a built in recovery system that covers your ā€œarseā€ (indeminifies your system equally) for three months. It is very extensible by for example adding /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail or /var/spool/asterisk/backup, is low impact, uses hard-links extensively so little hard-drive space, and doesnā€™t require an internet connection.

Personally I use one dedicated backup server for many FreePBX instances but it works fine in a standalone situation also.

1 Like

Yay! Thanks :sunglasses: Iā€™m glad that someone else thinks that this actually solves the problem that it was meant to solve!

And thatā€™s not what weā€™re trying to stop. Weā€™re just trying to make sure that people know that stuff has been changed. The CAUSE is security vulnerabilities.

We have a [email protected] email address that goes to lots of important people, and we take security very seriously - so seriously that Iā€™m happy to say we havenā€™t had to release a CVE this year. I really hate writing them, so we do our best not to have to :sunglasses:

Actually, itā€™s not! This is something that a lot of people donā€™t know but RPM (specifically, dpkg doesnā€™t do this, and I think itā€™s a terribly important missing feature) DOES do integrity checks. Try this:

rpm -qVa

That does an integrity check and alert of every file that has been changed on your system, that isnā€™t tagged as a config file in the spec.

Sorry, my nerd is creeping in here.

Exactly. And PREVENTING people changing our stuff kinda goes against the GPL, which is why we go out of our way to make it easy to do so! I <3 the GPL! In fact, Iā€™m one of those people who DONā€™T think the AGPL is crazy, and you may notice that weā€™ve been using it for a lot of our new modules.

If itā€™s actually happening that much, it might be worth you signing the indemnification and getting your own GPG key signed, so it stops complaining. The other thing is, youā€™re going to have to redo the changes every time you update, too, or, you need to stop updatingā€¦ Which then means you may miss a security fix.

Are your changes something that other people are going to want?

Thereā€™s an X in the top right hand corner of that box. Once you click on that, youā€™ll never see it again. I realise that the contrast could be slightly better on the X, and weā€™ve fixed that in 13, but the CSS in 12 makes it hard to see.

I think I have already written this down somewhere, but I canā€™t seem to find it, so hereā€™s the idea that @tm1000 and I were thinking about.

• A new directory /etc/freepbx.d that contains a subtree of module names. (Thus /etc/freepbx.d/dialplaninjection)
  • Each module folder has a module.sig and a key file that must be owned by the root user
  • Before GPG checks for and validates the module.sig in the module folder, it checks for the existence and validates the ownership of the files in freepbx.d. If it finds it, it works from that, otherwise it works from the standard one.

Thatā€™s still going to require people who want to change code to pull the devtools repo and use the packaging tools, but it also removes the requirement for us to get involved.

I think we need to provide a way to let users do that. We canā€™t stop them from being stupid, we just need to give them as many alternatives as possible so they donā€™t think using a shotgun to remove a blackhead is their only option :sunglasses:

Weā€™re not even doing that. Thatā€™s why we put the ā€˜revoked keyā€™ stuff in there. If someone malicious DOES start publishing nasty modules, we revoke their key, and all their modules are blocked. Obviously, they can simply remove the module.sig and itā€™ll then start working again as an unsigned module, but this is all about alerting, and making noise about bad things, not blocking.

Hell no! This is great! Are you coming to Linux.conf.au in Feb? We can sit down and have a beer and you can tell me why my code sucks. (Those are the best kind of discussions!). As you know, security should never exist in a vacuum, which is why I love to talk about it. @tm1000 is a bit sick of it by now, but thatā€™s because heā€™s normal, and Iā€™m an anal-retentive security nazi who canā€™t stop talking about it :sunglasses:

I truly appreciate your input!

1 Like

Iā€™m sure the essence of my changes are something that others using that module would want but the way I implemented it was a total hack just to get the job done. In the cxpanel module it enables a separate webserver (fā€™ing java tomcat). By default it opens a port using HTTP. There is a nice little checkbox to enable HTTPS (in addition to some heavy config editing) that uses a different port. Unfortunately, when you do this none of the links anywhere are updated to https://. So I went through all of the files for that module that had links and changed http:// to https://. Totally not the right way to do it (it should be tied into the checkbox on the admin panel), but I donā€™t have the time to go through their code and implement it properly.

Only on the one at the top (see below image):

I see that X and can click it. Iā€™m not worried about this box. Itā€™s the following one that annoys me because it never goes away unless my hack is in place:

Those 2 red boxes are the ones that generate calls to me to ā€œfix thingsā€.

Wait, why? I must be missing something because it would be much easier if I could just generate the SHA hash and vi the module.sig file. What do I need those other tools for if thatā€™s all Iā€™m doing?

Iā€™m from PA, USA. Australia is slightly far away :smile:. Especially on a professorā€™s salary ;).

Well, Iā€™m talking about someone who DOESNā€™T understand how to cleartext sign files. If you want to do that yourself, then sure, but itā€™s easier to use the script in the devtools repo that hashes the files and signs it for you. Iā€™m lazy :sunglasses:

Going back to your other pointā€¦ Yes. Those two are going to stay, unless Iā€™m convinced otherwise, and youā€™ll need to make a REALLY good point why. But thatā€™s the reasoning behind us wanting to allow people the equivalent of self-signed certificates, so people who know what theyā€™re doing CAN legitimately remove those warnings in a way that makes it really hard for an attacker to do.

Thatā€™s a bug. Can you report it on http://issues.freepbx.org please? Just copying and pasting that comment will be enough, and itā€™ll get Triaged on Monday (US time).

Itā€™s only far away until you get on the plane. Then itā€™s close! :sunglasses:

Going back to your other pointā€¦ Yes. Those two are going to stay, unless Iā€™m convinced otherwise, and youā€™ll need to make a REALLY good point why. But thatā€™s the reasoning behind us wanting to allow people the equivalent of self-signed certificates, so people who know what theyā€™re doing CAN legitimately remove those warnings in a way that makes it really hard for an attacker to do.

Delighted that weā€™re finally making what appears to be some progress. Wouldnā€™t root privs and a self-signed certificate address the legitimate FreePBX concerns over tampered files especially when weā€™re talking about a number of modules that have been around forever??

I know one thing for certain, that users like us shy away from using 3rd party modules in the first place, because of the warning that FreePBX generates.
At least there is some hesitation, which in turn would result in fewer usage of 3rd party modules on average. At least, that is what I would expect.

I know this is old, but Iā€™m going to give a pretty simple and easy example for editor to understand.

I simply want to create two modules on our system where their only purpose is to provide some links - one to fop2, one to fop2/admin, and probably one to create a support ticket with our company. All these modules will be doing is add a menu item that will reference those links. I did not write our companyā€™s ticket system and I do not own the intellectual property of fop2. Nicolas at Asternic could ask me to stop writing modules that are linking to fop2 and I would gladly oblige, but the modules that I will be signing are simply shortcuts referencing it. I understand there could even be some gray area here, but the modules regardless are only going to exist on the PBXes that I manage and nothing more.

If I were to redistribute these modules, even ones as simple as a shortcut to another product, then it would be more questionable. But we arenā€™t redistributing them, so we wonā€™t worry about it.

I think your main focus, editor, should be on not redistributing whatever module you are attempting to sign and use. Donā€™t focus on the signing and using part. Just do it and donā€™t redistribute it. If you could you would have contacted the original author, but you canā€™t - so donā€™t worry about it.

Perhaps Iā€™m being too laid back here, but I wouldnā€™t make a bigger issue out of it than it should be. If it is only going to be on your systems as it is then donā€™t worry about it. If you feel terrible still then keep his name referenced in the comments and author section of the module.xml file. If you donā€™t know his name, then write it out to ā€œthat guyā€.

Just to make you feel more comfortable, hereā€™s some legal stuff:

The information contained in this forum post is provided to you ā€œAS ISā€, does not constitute legal advice, and I am not acting as your attorney. I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in this forum post.

The law changes very rapidly and, accordingly, we do not guarantee that any information on this forum post or our affiliated forum posts are accurate and up to date. Additionally, the law differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and is subject to interpretation of courts located in each county. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case and the tools and information provided to you may not be an appropriate fit in your case. Nothing that you read or is provided on this forum post should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel.

Postings in the Forums, Message Boards, Guides and any other areas of and through our forum post are for educational and information purposes only. They are not legal advice or legal opinions. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship between xptpa2020, and you or anyone else except as explicitly set forth in a signed writing. The opinions expressed in the postings may be opinions of the authors and do not reflect the opinions of xptpa2020, its employees or agents. The seals, trademarks, or other advertising that may appear on our site or within our articles shall not be considered to create any sponsorship or affiliation with such other forum post or author. xptpa2020, or others that provide information on or through this forum post will not be liable or responsible to you for any claim, loss, injury, liability, or damages related to your use of this site or any site linked to this site.

It is, and itā€™s out of date. Locally signable modules have been around for ages (and are documented!). So itā€™s kinda not relevant. Sorry 8)

1 Like

Whatā€™s not documented at least not here:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Signing+your+own+modules#Signingyourownmodules-LocalKeyWalkthrough
or here where dev env is explained
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Setting+up+a+Development+environment+from+the+FreePBX+Distro
or here:

Whatā€™s not clear is, what are the minimal steps to just be able to sign modules using the ā€œsign.phpā€ from devrepo when I donā€™t want to switch the whole installation to dev mode. I just want the signing tools and that part of documentation is missing.

Can someone please provide the necessary steps? Is it just install git and clone devrepo or is that not enough?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what you think is missing. Can you clarify more in depth. If you checkout the dev tools repo you arenā€™t putting your whole system into dev mode.

My bad. I really missed a part (must have overlooked it). So itā€™s really just checking out dev-repo and running signing as described.