Advice needed before migration from freepbx 6 to 10

Hi,
I’ve seen that 6.12 isn’t supported anymore, so I’m thinking about a change.

1. I kindly ask you is it best to install in production v 10 or 13?

2 ) Is there a way to export configuration or should make a clean install and reconfigure everything by hand?

3 ) My PBX isn’t exposed on the internet and is working fine with v. 6 what would happen if I leave all as it is?

Having recently made this journey, I’d suggest going to FreePBX 13 with Asterisk 11, assuming you are hard pressed to do this. This way, you avoid a lot of the “new” pieces that are causing occasional heartburn.

If you do it with the tools available (the FreePBX upgrade scripts and modules), it’s pretty safe.

Now, if you are talking strictly about Asterisk 6, in your case (where you system is stand-alone), I’d say “Let sleeping dogs lie.” Unless there is a compelling reason to change, I’d say leave it alone and just let it keep working. The software isn’t going to fail - your concern would be the hardware.

An alternative route would be to stand up a new server with FreePBX 13 and Asterisk 11. Connect the two server together in your network and transition the system one extension at a time. That way, you minimize the damage to the boss’ experience and can still move toward a new system.

Once again, the only reasons I can think of to upgrade are if you are concerned about your hardware or if you want to implement some new features that aren’t available in the old server.

Hello folks.

First off, Asterisk 6 doesn’t exist. It looks like you are referring to the track numbers.

Cynjut’s comments are valid. Using the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” philosophy, you may be better off just leaving it. Having said that, I once did the same and then MANY FPBX version later wanted to get some of the new features. I spent quite a while upgrading and somewhere in all that things broke, but didn’t notice until I was done with upgrades. Had fun Monday when no one could answer a call (hung up as soon as they took the call).

There are valid reasons to follow the versions and stay were you are. One thing is for sure though, when a new version of either Asterisk or FPBX are released, wait a bit… just like with Windows. Early adopters have more issues.

BTW: I’m using Asterisk 13 and FPBX 13. For the most part things are great… except of the OSS EPM. Wish it worked properly. I bought the Commercial EPM because the show must go on.

My two cents…

The 6 was referred to freepbx distro version.

An alternative route would be to stand up a new server with FreePBX 13 and Asterisk 11. Connect the two server together in your network and transition the system one extension at a time. That way, you minimize the damage to the boss’ experience and can still move toward a new system.

Thanks for your words, I think that will try with a VM and then see how things goes.