Aastra 6739i - Strange Behavior

Hi all,

I am new to the forums and I hope this is the right place for this post. I am running the FreePBX Distro, which is Asterisk and FreePBX

I have a number of phones on the system running beautifully. I have, however, run into a strange problem with the Aastra 6739i phone. It is running Firmware Version, and is on Boot Version, which is dated Mar 2, 2012.

So, from what I can tell, the phone is up to date, and here’s what I’m getting:

I can call the phone’s extension - it rings and you can answer. The call quality is great. From the phone I can dial voicemail - no problem. On this particular phone I can dial *ext where ext = extension number, and it goes directly to the dialed extension’s voicemail (I discovered this by accident). What I can’t do is call out. Not to an extension, and not over the SIP trunk. It just won’t dial out. I have tried setting up an Outbound Proxy, and nothing.

Anyhow, my SIP configuration is very basic - I’m using the Global SIP page to setup my Proxy & Registration servers. At the switch/PBX, everything on the extension is setup just like all of my other extensions - they are all remote with the exception of a handful in the main office.

Does anyone have any experience with the Aastra on an issue like this? I have also tried using EndPoint Manager, but that’s another post for another time. I’d just like to setup one phone manually to see how well it works.

Thanks in advance for your help - I have been reading on this forum for a few months now, and I’ve noticed just how much help is available, and what a great bunch of pros are a part of it.

– Ed


I checked all the online blogs, and the Aastra site’s support, and the only thing I could come up with was to reset the phone to Factory Default and start over.

Now, I have to preface what I am writing here by stating that someone else had tried to provision this phone before it came to me.

Through a series of trial & error attempts, I discovered that it would work just fine with a 3-digit extension, but not 4-digits or higher, or outbound trunk calling on our SIP trunks.

I followed the sage advice of starting from scratch and doing my own configuration - and voila! It works just beautifully now.

Not sure what was in the prior configuration; I really couldn’t tell there was anything awry. In the end, the reset took all of about 5 minutes from start to full provisioning, so pretty painless.

You should try the Aastra-xml scripts in the distro. They automatically provision the phone and add cool features such as visual voicemail and parking lot.

From what I understand the Aastra 3.x firmware is primarily for Microsoft Lync support. I am running a few versions of Aastra phones but all on 2.x firmware because the 3.x introduces some problems with Asterisk based systems.