A few questions about modules

dear community,

i am new with freepbx.

so i have a few questions:

1. is it possible to record a own voicemail box with e.g. a snom phone directly?
    2.1 is it possible if the customer calls me, that the customer hears sound before i answer the call?
    2.2 is it possible to set times 08-12 and 12-6 for online, and after that time a “we are currently not in office” message?
  2. is mail to fax and fax 2 mail possible?

thank you very much and many greets,

iceget

1.is it possible to record a own voicemail box with e.g. a snom phone directly?
Of course - that is the standard way to do it.

2.1 is it possible if the customer calls me, that the customer hears sound before i answer the call?
Yup - check out Announcements.

2.2 is it possible to set times 08-12 and 12-6 for online, and after that time a “we are currently not in office” message?
Yup - check out Time Groups and Time Conditions.

3.is mail to fax and fax 2 mail possible?
Fax-2-E-Mail is built in. Mail-2-FAX is possible with some custom programming, but is not standard in the Distro.

Dear greg,

thank you very much for your answer, you helped me so much!

i have tried all and all working fine.

another questions (has forgotten):

1.is it needed to connect for the snom phone to the openVPN server?
my phone are in my local network, and the freepbx server is in a data center.
currently i only have opened port 5060 udp from my official ip address at home, for the server?
or is another solution better?

1. should i use the build in openVPN server from the freepbx system (and phone),
    or should i use an own openVPN server?

2. and if i have e.g. 4-5 phones, is it better co create one master openVPN client from my network,
    to connect my same local subnet with the freepbx server?

3. currently (in my setup with the open port only), if i call my extension from external,
    sometimes i get an error that my extension is not reachable. but if i call with this extension and i hangup,
    then i can reach the phone from external too.

4. for what is a stun server, does i need this?

5. last: whats the best tutorial for freepbx to can read all infos i need (learn)?

thank you very very much,
many greest MK

OpenVPN would be more secure but is fairly advanced for a beginner - If you are up to the task go for it.

That would be a question for the FreePBX Devs - I have never used the built-in.

One thing to keep in mind with any VPN solution and Voice traffic going over it is that you lose visibility of the Prioritization Tags (QOS) because they are hidden inside of the tunnel - if you have an excess of bandwidth this is not a problem, but that is almost never the case so be careful with this. Unless you are doing extremely sensitive voice, having it openly transmitted is usually not a problem. When it is in a tunnel, the tags are still present, but networking gear between you and the other end of the tunnel will only see untagged packets.

That means Keep-Alive is not working well enough to keep the ports open - that is most likely on the Data-Center side - although with what you describe it could be on the client side also - most decent business class routers don’t do that - what is the router brand at the client side?

I have over 100 systems deployed with at least 80 phones in the wild and I have never had to use one - it’s a server to assist with NAT translation, but Asterisk is already really good at it - lot’s of competing solutions need it, but I have never had to use one.

That’s a really tough question because the project is evolving so rapidly - this forum is the best resource I have found by far - read the new forum posts here a couple times a week and you will get a feel for all the solutions to problems others have come up with, and then you will start seeing (and solving) the same issues as the complexity of your system increases when you start using the more advanced features.

Keep reading and playing.

Thank you for your complex answer! you helped me so much!!

many greets