A couple of errors

We are running the latest Distro install 1.8.1.2-2
and I can see the following warning and error messages in the asterisk log.
Of course ome of this may be Asterisk 1.8 related.

ERROR[8720] res_stun_monitor.c: Unable to load config res_stun_monitor.conf

ERROR[8720] res_calendar.c: Unable to load config calendar.conf

ERROR[8720] chan_mobile.c: No Bluetooth devices found. Not loading module.

ERROR[8720] cel_custom.c: Unable to load cel_custom.conf. Not logging CEL to custom CSVs.

ERROR[8720] cdr_syslog.c: Unable to load cdr_syslog.conf. Not logging custom CSV CDRs to syslog.

ERROR[8720] cdr_custom.c: Unable to load cdr_custom.conf. Not logging custom CSV CDRs.

ERROR[8720] pbx_dundi.c: Unable to load config dundi.conf

ERROR[8720] chan_unistim.c: Unable to load config unistim.conf

ERROR[8720] app_amd.c: Configuration file amd.conf missing.

ERROR[8720] res_clialiases.c: res_clialiases configuration file ‘cli_aliases.conf’ not found

G729 codec translation (digium codec)
WARNING[8820] abstract_jb.c: SIP/AS5300-00000001 received frame with invalid timing info: has_timing_info=1, len=0, ts=0, src=RTP
DEBUG[8820] res_rtp_asterisk.c: Received frame with no data for RTP instance ‘0xdb61ad0’ so dropping frame

WARNING[8720] chan_iax2.c: Error opening firmware directory ‘/var/lib/asterisk/firmware/iax’: No such file or directory

WARNING[8720] loader.c: Error loading module ‘res_pktccops’: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_pktccops.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

WARNING[8720] loader.c: Error loading module ‘chan_mgcp.so’: /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/chan_mgcp.so: undefined symbol: ast_pktccops_gate_alloc

WARNING[8720] loader.c: Module ‘chan_mgcp.so’ could not be loaded.

Yes those are all modules that asterisk loads and freepbx does not setup config files for them. I guess we could look at no-loading the modules in module.conf. I would want to get more feedback from others if they want us to noload modules and which modules.

What about this one? Is this an Asterisk 1.8 error? It happens with g729 codec. At first I thought it was due to the free g729 codec we used on the test machine so I purchased the Digium codec but the error persists. I know there was a bug report about this for the free codec that Digium closed because they don’t support it but I did not expect the same error with the paid codec.

WARNING[17774] abstract_jb.c: Failed to put first frame in the jitterbuffer on channel ‘SIP/1500-0000000f’

To answer your question I would say don’t load anything that produces an error or setup default config files so it does not produce an error. IMHO if you load it you have to configure it. If you don’t want to configure it then don’t load it.

What do you mean Free g729. g729 is a paid only codec so this is confusing. Regardless I would need to see a print out of sip show peer xxx while making a call to the extension that you are trying to use g729 on?

1. OK. Can you comment which modules can be removed safely and which one’s must get loaded?

2. If some are essential then why not provide configs?

DCI, you ask why I get so frustrated with you, this post is a prime example. You hold yourself off as a commercial operator of Asterisk based systems yet you fail to demonstrate rudimentary competency. You are the one who pointed out how happy your customers are and how great your systems run.

Tony or anyone else can’t anticipate what modules you will need, these are warnings that a valid config does not exist so the module does not load (in most cases).

So to save you some Googling and a bit of mental effort I have annotated each module so you know what it does.

My comments are in bold

ERROR[8720] res_stun_monitor.c: Unable to load config res_stun_monitor.conf
STUN provides a form of NAT IP traversal sensing for SIP peers behind NAT

ERROR[8720] res_calendar.c: Unable to load config calendar.conf
Google (and other) calendar integration

ERROR[8720] chan_mobile.c: No Bluetooth devices found. Not loading module.
Support for using a mobile phone over Bluetooth as an Asterisk Channel

ERROR[8720] cel_custom.c: Unable to load cel_custom.conf. Not logging CEL to custom CSVs.
New type of CDR, supports RADIUS and a few other toys

ERROR[8720] cdr_syslog.c: Unable to load cdr_syslog.conf. Not logging custom CSV CDRs to syslog.
Send CDR’s to a syslog facility

ERROR[8720] cdr_custom.c: Unable to load cdr_custom.conf. Not logging custom CSV CDRs.
Custom CDR’s

ERROR[8720] pbx_dundi.c: Unable to load config dundi.conf
Asterisk Channel that supports discovery of remote dial plans

ERROR[8720] chan_unistim.c: Unable to load config unistim.conf
Asterisk Channel driver for Nortel Unistim devices

ERROR[8720] app_amd.c: Configuration file amd.conf missing.
Asterisk Answering Machine Detect Function

ERROR[8720] res_clialiases.c: res_clialiases configuration file ‘cli_aliases.conf’ not foundAsterisk module to allow aliasing of CLI functions for backward compatability and administrative ease

Thank you. That’s great info.

I think you got me all wrong though. We are not a commercial operator of Asterisk based systems. DCI is a long distance provider and Asterisk is only a pet project (for now).

We use it in house and have a couple of beta testers with regular lines as backups. Our main system is pretty stable though and most of my questions are about new installs, e.g. the FreePBX distro with Asterisk 1.8 which seems to behave very different from our old system. We do get paid support when we need it but I like to use the forums whenever possible because it gives us access to people like you with a wealth of experience.

Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry I have such a bad attitude toward you in the forums.

Sometimes we all suffer a little from “first thought wrong” and I should have waited before pressing post on that message.

@skyking. No harm done. I appreciate your feedback. Good or bad I always learn something.

@tonyclewis. Since the distro is supposed to work “right out of the box” you should either supply configs for all modules or not load those module for which you don’t supply configs. If you don’t have configs it means you don’t want em right?